Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
removing imron paint >

removing imron paint

Notices

removing imron paint

Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would share a bit of information. Today I removed the factory lettering on my boat. It was painted with Imron. I used CitrusStrip from Wal-Mart. I applied four generous coats to the letters. In between coats I used a razorblade scraper very gently to remove and bubbled paint. When I got down to the layer just before the fiberglass, I switched over to 1500 grit wet and a sanding block. Finished it off with Leverage Oxidation Remover and Polish. It looks like the letters were ever there. No "ghost" outline, no humps, no gouges, just smooth fiberglass. The CitrusStrip in no way hurt the gel coat and I left it on for upwards of 30 minutes at a time. I did find that it performs better on paint that has been soaking up direct sunshine for a few hours. I guess the heat aids in the breakdown.

Just a tidbit of info that might help!!!