Cracks on Hatch Scoops >

Cracks on Hatch Scoops

Notices

Cracks on Hatch Scoops

Old 03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracks on Hatch Scoops

What is the best way to repair cracks on engine hatch scoops? I would like to repair the cracks and then repaint. Do not want to waist time and money repainting if cracks are going to just come back. Any suggestions or opinions?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Are they in the scops or where the scoop was bonded on to the hatch? If they are just stress in the gell you need to "V" those out a bit with a die grinder and fill them with a high density filler like westsystems 404 then a quick coat of 407 to fair it out. Cracks in the bond line will need a bit of fiberglass to keep them from coming back.

Look the hatch/scoop over real good and see if you can determine if there is any excessive flexing going on. You may need to build up some areas to keep flex to a minimum.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hatch appears to be one piece that was custom made. Cracks look like stress cracks in gel coat. There are lots of them and they all are on either the side or top of scoops. When I purchased the boat I noticed that the hatch wanted to lift when traveling at high speeds (over 100). In addition there was only one hatch cylinder which was offset. I added another cylinder to balance out the hatch and also help hold it down at higher speeds. Have not notice additional cracks but with the number that already exist not sure. Just do not want to go thru effort of repair and paint, and then have to do it again next year.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

sounds like you may just need to beef up the inside of the scoop itself a bit. Some of those aftermarket scoops are a bit thin and you want to keep flexing to a minimum if you want to keep stress cracks down.

incidentally i see by your profile you are referring to your 99 Daytona? My friend has the very first 33 Daytona built, the one that was in Powerboat mag back in 96. Got sixes on it and BIG inch power (65?ci), runs in the upper 130's now. Sick boat.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )