In need of detail advice... >

In need of detail advice...

Notices

In need of detail advice...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of detail advice...

I have a 24' Baja that every year I spend countless hours compounding and buffing with my dewalt auto buffer. I am very familiar with detailing techniques for vehicles; and they all come out well...but for some reason I can't seem to get my boat to stay looking good. The bow is the worst, most likely because of the sun. I buff and buff and it lasts for maybe a month or so. I have used tried 3M 1 step compound/wax and 3M's 2 step but I'm not happy. Can anyone offer any products or advice that has worked???
Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem last year, I wet sanded my bow with 2000 grit and then used 3M Fiberglass Restorer on my buffer. I, like yourself, spent HOURS and a LOT of money on waxes and nothing has compared to this method. Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised!!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for wizards products. I started using them on my boat with much success. Also try a product called aqua buff, it's a paste in which you buff, but the surface and pad needs to be wet, it has a really course grit in it, it's like wetsanding/compounding in one. They also make a polish to use afterwards. I then followed up with wizards to seal it and then just hand waxed for the rest of the summer and I never lost the shine.

Also the more coats of wizards polish or sealer you apply the deeper the shine and it doesn't wash off in the rain or after a wash.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DO exactly what 89 mach said. The problem with gel that it is very hard and the oxadation get's deep in the gel and the only good way is to sand it out.The problem with the one step stuff is it does not cut it enough it just colors it in. Try the 3m Imperial compound # 06044 thats the part number.That will buff out 1000-1500 grit scratches.Also use a wool compounding buffing pad not a foam or a synthetic.Lay it on thick and apply in a 1 foot area or smaller apply pressure with around 2000-3000 rpm.Gel is poreriss so it will pull the product right in so use alot. use 1500 grit cuts a little better than 2000 and make sure the boat is clean you don't want any dirt between the paper and the boat will end up with deep scratches.You might have to compound one area a few times to get out the scratches but the end result well worth it. I have a detailing company and i do alot of boat dealer ships so i know boats.Any questions p.m. me. Rob
Old 04-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two threads we've built over the years.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...n-remover.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...wetsanding+101

Also check on TBM (TeamBaja) for feedback and solutions.