Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Stringer/Bulkhead replacement advice >

Stringer/Bulkhead replacement advice

Notices

Stringer/Bulkhead replacement advice

Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just about done. The weather in NY has been terrible so far this summer. I did end up leaving the screws in. The project definitely turn out to be bigger then when I started. I'm sure it happens all the time But now I know that the majority of the stingers and bulk heads are new and solid.

I did want to get opinions on the gas tank area. Originally they had pvc pipe running through the area sealed on the bulkheads on the ends. It looks like at some point some water got in somehow and because the ends were sealed it had no way to get out.

I'm thinking instead I'm going to glass in the bottom to keep the void open when I foam in the tank. That way if some water does get in. Eventually it will get to the bottom and out. I guess the downside would be if I ever had 5-6 inches of water sitting in the bottom of the boat it could reach the foam.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered

if you ever need to do anymore of these repairs you should seriously consider seacast you would have been far better off
Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

If Seacast was such a great product, manufacturers and top notch repair shops would be using it... they don't.

Originally Posted by Structrual Guy
if you ever need to do anymore of these repairs you should seriously consider seacast you would have been far better off
Old 07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Iam not here to defend but i have done many a jobs with the product and it IS a great solution for a badd situation the problem is old school glass guys not wanting to adapt the only one who suffers is the customer check out profiberglass.com then tell me how top notch shops arent using it .My distibutor in saginaw did a 32 fountain with it and the customer is tickled to death it was a 93 way to early to be rotted out remember boat companies are in the buisness to sell boats they only want them to last past the warrenty,if you tell me there is a product that will never rott out again you can sure bet iam gonna try it.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Registered

Oh yeah make sure you click on the restore tab and then the transom tab
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered

I'm done finally. 40 yards of cloth and 5 gallons of epoxy later. Took much longer then I was thinking it would.

Hope to get her out this weekend.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered

Hope it all went well!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Registered

She floats !!

Took her on a few short trial runs. No cracks or anything anywhere. I should be good to go.

Time to crush some waves in between gas stations lol