Notices

600 Grit OK?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 600 Grit OK?

Little back roud, Red boat, has been sitting a while. I tried to wet sand with 800 grit and after quite a bit of time it still left cloads/white oxidation. My question is can I use 600 Grit to start and progress down? 600 seems pretty harsh. Also how can I tell when it's time to change the paper? Also after the 600 is it ok to go to 1000 then 1500 before I buff? Thanks. Tom
Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

its actually a technique that takes a bit of a touch. You can actually drop down courser than 600 to something like 400. Its going to depend on how much gel is available and how much elbow grease and time you want to spend with it. Unfortunately the reality is it probably wont last long and for the effort needed to bring any kind of life back into it you could have prepped for paint. Red's a tough one.

step grits up in 200 pt increments. 400/600/800/1000/buff. I will occasionally use 3000 Trizac on a DA for flat surfaces, really makes it buff nice. Are you sanding all by hand and how big is the area, whole boat?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered

The deck is REALLY BAD. it's a 20' Stingray Maxim 1 And I have been doing it by hand. The side's aren't that bad probably will be able to start that at 1000. Your right about It won't last long. when I bought it 3 years ago it looked like a mirror. But sitting at the dock for a week it's right back to clouds. I kinda let it go.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a Scorpion that was like that. I swear i could see it fade right behind the buffer as i was going along.

any pics?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with glassdave on the DA sanding. I've always used 3m wetsanding paper on my DA. It seems I get alot better shine than when doing it by hand. Plus its alot faster and easier on your arms! Good luck with it and pics would help. My all red boat is the same on the deck, Ive got it looking pretty decent but it has been repainted and I don't think its thick enough to wetsand too much. Probably do a repaint this coming winter.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Registered

Talking

I don't have any pics, But the deck is basically white. From what I understand Stingray has color all thru the gel. I guess we will find out. If it doesn't looks like a good time to paint or sell.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Buff.

I generally start out with 1000g with the hookit pad by 3M attatched to a DA.
Then buff with 3m heavy duty compound until scratches are gone.
Then buff with 3m microfinishing compound then step down to 3m finesse it 2.
Wash asap or the finesse will dry hard and it is a ***** to remove.
This will give you the results that will get you what you are looking for.You will be able to see the reflection of your zipper when you are finished.