Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
((The makeover has started for the 24 Thundercat!)) >

((The makeover has started for the 24 Thundercat!))

Notices

((The makeover has started for the 24 Thundercat!))

Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after talking to a few people about cutting the "joist" out or not I've heard that it wouldnt hurt then I had someone else say it might be for support etc. so i ahve come to the conclusion that I want to be safe than sorry. So now I plan to order 2 new fuel cells and place them under the front under the deck.I will post pics of where I will place them. Choosing to go this route is a good thing and a bad thing. Bad= I will be getting a lot small tanks and wont be able to hold the amount of fuel I did before.(which I could never use the left tank. it was already messed up) The good= less weight the faster she'll go!)
Old 11-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Registered

Just got the new tanks in today.Heres are some pics I put the first tank in place and took a pic then the second tank and took a pic then a few pics from the inside out. they fit great and I'm going to set them in place and fasten them down this weekend.Let me know what yall think. thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the new tanks up in the bow section? It's hard to get a reference looking at the pics. Good idea on the angle cut on the decking. I would think about the added weight in the front but might help balance some. What's happening with the red front seats? I might be interested in them. Good luck on your project. I started mine in the general questions.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 AM
Registered

Yes the tanks will be in the front of the boat in the center.they fit great.I could get new tanks to fit in the old tanks becaue of the size and dimensions without cutting the stringers out that you can see in the first few pics of the gas tanks. if i put a tank inbetween the two stringers it wouldnt even be 12 gallons.I still have the seats I'm getting all the interior redcovered in carbon fiber. Hopefully they will turn out just like the 26 redline with the dark carbon fiber and the silver carbonfiber with the red. I might sell them. how much do you want to pay?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Registered

well I have a new update me and my Dad worked all day on the boat and we fiberglassed the top of the old tank back into place and also screwed the floor back down and refiberglassed it also.(see pics) I cut off the bolts in the old gas tank that the fuel float and gas pickup lines were and I'm going to put a plate over the hole and fiberglass it shut. I'm hoping to get the floor as smooth as possible so I can have the whole floor painted or put that "boat flooring" paint type material in there and just have snap in carpet made for it.New updates coming tomorrow... I'll ahve the gas tanks in place and secured.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Newest update. I have the gas tanks in place and I fabricated aluminum straps to secure them and bolted them in with 1/2" bolts. Then I got "Great Stuff" the foam and srayed in all the cracks and all the way around the tanks and I think it turned out great.Now to secure the new fuel lines and the fuel tanks issues will be done thanks God! Heres a few pic's.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by justincasey57
No it has fiberglass tanks which are leaking because of the E85 they are putting in gas now-a-days. Thats the info I'm reading of forums etc. but I'm going to put new tanks in it. Yea I know it came from Indiana but didnt know who built these boats or anything about them.Never even seen another pic of one.
Actually it is E10 or up to 10%. Good luck with your project!!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

Oh my bad. Yea I'll be posting more pics soon. the floor is being sanded down and all the fiberglass being sanded flush with the floor.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Great project. I newer liked the fiberglass gas tanks when Bob build your boat. Problem was the space under the floor and only solution to have more gas was fiberglass tanks.
I am sure you will be happier and safer knowing that fuels is not leaking in your bilge.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered

yea I know. I have all the fuel out, I vacuumed over 10 gallons of fuel/water out of the hull from where it has leaked out!! it was a ticking time bomb if you ask me. the project is coming along I will post more pics tomorrow, I have the floor all fiberglassed back in and sanded flush looks like it was never cut and all the new fuel lines installed and I will be filling all the holes from the cockpit cover buttons this week and removing all the deck hardware getting it ready for paint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.