Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Any advice on building a light weight strong engine hatch? >

Any advice on building a light weight strong engine hatch?

Notices

Any advice on building a light weight strong engine hatch?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone? What does it take to build a panel that a person can stand on? Thx, Randy
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mistress hatches

Randy, I have two engine hatches with scoops that I had made for my 35'Cigarette Awesome that should fit your Mistress. I am parting out my hull so you could have them for $200 for the pair plus shipping. I will email you some pictures if you are interested. Bob Newman. [email protected]
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a great thread! I too am tossing around the idea of building a single hatch to replace the dual hatches on my scarab 300. I was thinking of putting some plexiglass windows in the hatch to show off the engines. The hatch will be flat and I am not concerned about weight. The existing hatches have stiffening ribs on the bottom of them which I would love to eliminate. What can I use that will allow me to keep the thickness around 1 inch and still be able to carry the weight of someone standing on it?

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

Bob, thanks but I'm looking for scoop-less hatches. I'm trying to get back to a modern version of the original flat dual hatches. Randy
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to build two that kind of look like this picture. They will only be about 25"25" but need to support an adult stepping on them as well and will be "domed"
Attached Thumbnails Any advice on building a light weight strong engine hatch?-hatchcovers.jpg   Any advice on building a light weight strong engine hatch?-hatchcovers1.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

Default Getting hatched

I built a very nice hatch for my donzi. Take 3\4" marine plywood then take a mirrored plexiglass or colored plexiglass then build a frame out of anodized 1"x 3" aluminum rectangular tubing. It makes a very nice very cheep very strong hatch cover.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GregGuimond
I need to build two that kind of look like this picture. They will only be about 25"25" but need to support an adult stepping on them as well and will be "domed"
Greg, What's the story with the one in the picture? Is it foam cored with ply on either side and the edges? It looks really nice!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is just an example of someone elses work that I used to give a visual. It is an engine hatch but I need a lot smaller at 25" x 25" or so and super light.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a honey comb core, and you will have a very stiff panel as in an I-beam. Just do a Google search for honey comb sources.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.