Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Scarab Transom Repair (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/223844-scarab-transom-repair.html)

DOCSTER 02-02-2010 07:17 PM

Scarab Transom Repair

My 1988 38' Scarab KV transom rotted out. The glass guy is putting 2" of Nidacore back in. I have been reading all the pros cons about Coosa. I havent heard anything about Nidacore. Can anyone throw there experience at this.

Green's Marine 02-04-2010 07:21 PM

I have used it on a Formula 31pc and 25' Wellcraft. Both motor mount boxes, the Formula was the center motor mount box which started as a 2 x 4 box with 1/2" plywood on each side. I cut a hole in the top of the fiberglass to remove what was left of the wood, dried and cleaned with lacquer thinner and pour full with Nidacore. The Wellcraft was basicly the same thing it had stacked 2 x 6' in a fiberglass box to support the motor. Both worked out nice, it is strong, won't rott and saved labor. Now for your transom project, the company that I bought from says that Nidacore was developed specifically for high performance boat transom. Because you are redoing a transom, cleaning will be difficult, so will pouring but as long as you support your inter and outer fiberglass from swelling it will work very well for you.

DOCSTER 02-05-2010 09:33 AM

Thanks for reply. I cant seem to post a pic of the material. this stuff comes in a 4 x 8 sheet ' 1' thick. It is like honeycomb cells.

My real question is have you seen this used a s transom replacement?

rchevelle71 02-05-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Green's Marine (Post 3038994)
I have used it on a Formula 31pc and 25' Wellcraft. Both motor mount boxes, the Formula was the center motor mount box which started as a 2 x 4 box with 1/2" plywood on each side. I cut a hole in the top of the fiberglass to remove what was left of the wood, dried and cleaned with lacquer thinner and pour full with Nidacore. The Wellcraft was basicly the same thing it had stacked 2 x 6' in a fiberglass box to support the motor. Both worked out nice, it is strong, won't rott and saved labor. Now for your transom project, the company that I bought from says that Nidacore was developed specifically for high performance boat transom. Because you are redoing a transom, cleaning will be difficult, so will pouring but as long as you support your inter and outer fiberglass from swelling it will work very well for you.

I think you are thinking of a different material.

Green's Marine 02-05-2010 08:36 PM

Yes, I stand corrected the product I used was Nidabond pourable transom compound which is manufacture by Nidacore. Go to www.lbifiberglass.com this is where I buy my materials. The web site does not give specific strength value on the Nidacore like is does for the Nidabond so give them a call, they have always been helpful.