13ft Boston Whaler Restoration Project >

13ft Boston Whaler Restoration Project

Notices

13ft Boston Whaler Restoration Project

Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by areyouliving
I wanna see this thing when it's done. Sound like it'll come out nice. Keep the pics coming
Hope you have patience. I figure it will take a year and half. I don't plan on working much during the summer cause it to damn hot down here.

I picked up this project to get a better relationship with my older brother. He is disabled due to a head injury he got playing soccer in college. He is very hard to talk to and get along with or have any sort of a real discussion with. He can't hold a job, can't hold any kind of relationship, and lives with my parents. He is bitter about how his life has turned out for him. The other day we were working on something and amazingly we got along. I thought that if we couldn't get along having conversation then we could get along working on something. I knew he liked boats and often talked about buying one to fix up so I bought this whaler to fix up and call it "our boat". Now he is happier and we have a better relationship because instead of driving me crazy when he comes over now we are working on a fun project together. I'm hoping when were done he will have something to be proud of; right now he has nothing.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Registered

What do you guys think about just using a spray in bedliner for the cockpit?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some options with bed liner, but be aware that black where we live will be unbearable.

There is a product that I used in an aluminum jon boat that worked very well, I rolled and brushed the first coat and then sprayed the last from about 5 feet away to give it a rough texture. I purchased the stuff from Cabela’s.

If you have it sprayed with bed liner be sure and prep it yourself, sometimes they don’t do a great job with the prep work and the liner will peal at the edge.

Those hulls are really neat I hope this project goes well for you and your brother.

John

Last edited by John.Vaught; 08-06-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't do the bedliner crap..adds a ton of weight and that boat cannot stand it they already love to submarine in chop with weight....interlux makes a deck paint for smoothing out cracks..never used it but they say it works...might look into that
Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Hope you have patience. I figure it will take a year and half. I don't plan on working much during the summer cause it to damn hot down here.

I picked up this project to get a better relationship with my older brother. He is disabled due to a head injury he got playing soccer in college. He is very hard to talk to and get along with or have any sort of a real discussion with. He can't hold a job, can't hold any kind of relationship, and lives with my parents. He is bitter about how his life has turned out for him. The other day we were working on something and amazingly we got along. I thought that if we couldn't get along having conversation then we could get along working on something. I knew he liked boats and often talked about buying one to fix up so I bought this whaler to fix up and call it "our boat". Now he is happier and we have a better relationship because instead of driving me crazy when he comes over now we are working on a fun project together. I'm hoping when were done he will have something to be proud of; right now he has nothing.

YOU ARE A GREAT BROTHER AND ROLL MODEL,
Old 12-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boston Whaler Project

Any updates? I just bought a similar 13' hull with lots of crows feet and needing everything. My dream is to make it new again but reality and lack of skill doing this might make it a difficult DIY. Any insight would be appreciated on prep, sand, fiberglass , epoxy, paint, etc.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Dave,

Are you sure those are really stress cracks in the gelcoat? Please don't take this the wrong way because I have the utmost respect for your skills, but that looks an awful lot like failed paint to me. If it were, the repair process might be a bit easier because he wouldn't have to sand / grind as deep. Just a thought.

BTW, we have a 1989 15' Super Sport Whaler with a 40 HP Merc for my son. (Teak helm station and seats.) We bought it as a father and son restoration project and it was great fun for both of us. And I have to tell you, it's an absolute gas to ram around in. They're totally awesome boats.

Wow, I just saw the original date of this post. ever mind!

Last edited by Too Stroked; 12-11-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Dayum, this is old. I didn't finish this project unfortunately. I have an baby girl that is almost two and have another one due in a couple of weeks. So, because I could no longer find the time to work on it I sold it. I did spend a lot of time working with my brother and we had some good bonding so that part of the project was accomplished.

If I had to do it over again I would of paid someone to sand or soda blast it and then I would of paid someone to put on an easy awlgrip paint job. TONS of work...... I had over $2K into it and was going to have to spend another $1-2K and even then the motor would be questionable so I cut my losses short and sold it with the anticipation of buying something else small to replace it. Pretty easy to find a running 15-20ft console for less than $5K these days. I probably had over 100 hours in prep. Save your money, work hard, and buy a good running one for $3-4K. If you do go forward spend the money up front for a good sander it will save you lots of time and money.

DO NOT try to make it new again. Its not worth it and if your not a professional you won't ever get it there. Best to either pay someone else or just sand and slap a couple of coats of paint on it. If you try to make it like new you'll get discouraged with all the work involved.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 12-15-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Dayum, this is old. I didn't finish this project unfortunately. I have an baby girl that is almost two and have another one due in a couple of weeks. So, because I could no longer find the time to work on it I sold it. I did spend a lot of time working with my brother and we had some good bonding so that part of the project was accomplished.

If I had to do it over again I would of paid someone to sand or soda blast it and then I would of paid someone to put on an easy awlgrip paint job. TONS of work...... I had over $2K into it and was going to have to spend another $1-2K and even then the motor would be questionable so I cut my losses short and sold it with the anticipation of buying something else small to replace it. Pretty easy to find a running 15-20ft console for less than $5K these days. I probably had over 100 hours in prep. Save your money, work hard, and buy a good running one for $3-4K. If you do go forward spend the money up front for a good sander it will save you lots of time and money.

DO NOT try to make it new again. Its not worth it and if your not a professional you won't ever get it there. Best to either pay someone else or just sand and slap a couple of coats of paint on it. If you try to make it like new you'll get discouraged with all the work involved.
Yea, you can get in pretty deep, pretty fast. Sorry to hear you had to part with it. The one we bought didn't need any gel or paint work. A good buffing brought it back quite nicely. The main thing we did was a complete re-wiring and all new dash. The teak was actually perfect. The trailer needed a ton of work, but was solid. The best part? Snagged it for just $3,800. I'd be willing to bet I can still get $4,500 for it today. Oh, and the time with my son - priceless!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it but i just cant understand how people pay so much for those boats. I always wanted one when i was a kid but the prices people asked for them were crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.