respirator advice >

respirator advice

Notices

respirator advice

Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default respirator advice

I used to have a decent respirator for automotive painting but it grew legs, damned thing. This go around I will be mostly using it for grinding fiberglass and laying new, as well as painting eventually with it. I am considering a full face this time to give my eyes the protection they should have been having for years now. Is the full face really worth $100 more? How hot are they to work in? Any brand/store recommendations? It should also be noted that I dont do this for a living, the fiberglass work is just "here and there projects" (transom on a boat for example) as is the painting.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The full face is worth it 10 fold. Sure beats picking crap out your eyes. 3M makes a good mask. The best thing to do is have a test fit done at your local safety supply store for a proper size fitting, an improper fitting mask is like painting without one. Use pre-filters for the fiberglass work and especially the painting....it will help your lungs.The other thing to keep in mind is do not be cheap with the filters...they do not last for ever.....rule of thumb one set of filters per day....they are not designed to last for days on end, they kind of keep breathing so to speak even when not being used.
Hope this helps....oh and there not that bad for heat.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by verbi69
The full face is worth it 10 fold. Sure beats picking crap out your eyes. 3M makes a good mask. The best thing to do is have a test fit done at your local safety supply store for a proper size fitting, an improper fitting mask is like painting without one. Use pre-filters for the fiberglass work and especially the painting....it will help your lungs.The other thing to keep in mind is do not be cheap with the filters...they do not last for ever.....rule of thumb one set of filters per day....they are not designed to last for days on end, they kind of keep breathing so to speak even when not being used.
Hope this helps....oh and there not that bad for heat.
+1 to all that

couple other things to note. Its correct the filters only have X amount of usable life. General rule is eight hours in use, to prolong their affectiveness storage is important. Store the mask or just the filters (if they are removable) in a coffee can or ziplock bag and, this is important, without the pre-filters. As said above the filters do continue to breathe and if left in a sealed container with the pre filters will wear out quick. Most disposable maskes come in a zip lock mylar bag for this reason, those are the ones i use. I love the 3M full face mask and have one buit the standard disposable mask is the one use most of. If you go with the full face dont forget the tear off's.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 05-24-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I bought a Breathe Cool system that works with Tyvek suits and it was the best $400.00 I ever spent. The lens never fogs and the positive pressure in the suit keeps glass from getting in. We also keep the air system in the airconditioned part of the shop so while working you stay cool. I would by another 1 even if I were to use it only once I am that impressed with it.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are painting with automotive paint, the only respirator you should be wearing is a positive pressure, supplied air facemask.

I have a full downdraft booth, and still use the Sata system.

Those isocyanates are bad news.