Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How to paint outdrive? >

How to paint outdrive?

Notices

How to paint outdrive?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sandblast then use BLACK epoxy primer then single stage black urethane . It looks wet and slick
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 PM

My buddy used Epoxy spray paint for appliances... great job for $7. lol

For being SUPER Budget,why not?

Sorry about the crappy pic, I snatched it off his facebook.
Attached Thumbnails How to paint outdrive?-pump.jpg  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default outdrive paint.

Sandblasting is def. ideal. If you use the Zinc-Chromate base, take the proper precautions when it comes to using a breathing apparatus. The stuff is great for creating a protective barrier for your drives, but it will also melt your lungs down. Here is some pics of my last drive project.

How to paint outdrive?-sdc10133.jpg

How to paint outdrive?-sdc10161.jpg

How to paint outdrive?-sdc10159.jpg

The paint is Imron 5000s.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=KEVLARKAT32;3164701]I sandblast then use BLACK epoxy primer then single stage black urethane . It looks wet and slick[/QUOT Thats what i do! but im a bodyman and i have the materials already! put some new decals on looks brand new! Good luck!
Jason
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
I have my outdrive off and I wanted to paint it since it needs it bad. I wanted to know what people use including techniques and also what kind of success they've had with them. I was doing a little reasearch online and read to sand the outdrive with aluminum oxide sand paper. Is this different than using just normal 120 grit sandpaper to prep? Also what does everyone use an orbital sander? Basically a step by step of what material to use to sand and paint with would be great.
yah its something to do with standard paper particals and the electrolocist or whatever its called but using standard paper will cause the drive to deteriorate faster. get more info before you do it. I do know that there is a system if your just gonna paint it black again, that has the primer(green) the black paint and the clear all in spray cans. It's suppose to be the direct replacement for factory paint. I believe it's made by quicksilver or something. I have used it before and it looks great when your done. But as I said get more info on the prep of the drive first. maybe catch up with glassdave on here he maybe able to chime in...good luck