how much resin for biax? >

how much resin for biax?

Notices

how much resin for biax?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much resin for biax?

I am about to place an order for all the stuff i need for my transom replacement. I am ordering 5 yards of 50" 1 1/2 oz mat which is claimed to use 32oz of resin per yard (can anyone verify if this is close to accurate?). My question is that it doesnt say how much resin is needed for 1708 bi-ax, can anyone give me an idea? From all of my calculations I decided that I only need 1 1/2 gallons of resin, so I figured I would order 3 gallons for any of my cabosil and misc other needs. Does this sound about right?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawk232
I am about to place an order for all the stuff i need for my transom replacement. I am ordering 5 yards of 50" 1 1/2 oz mat which is claimed to use 32oz of resin per yard (can anyone verify if this is close to accurate?). My question is that it doesnt say how much resin is needed for 1708 bi-ax, can anyone give me an idea? From all of my calculations I decided that I only need 1 1/2 gallons of resin, so I figured I would order 3 gallons for any of my cabosil and misc other needs. Does this sound about right?
I used over 10 gallons of resin, 15 yards of 1708, and 5 yards of Mat on my 24 Pantera Transom replacement, but I also did some other repairs, and wet it out to the extreme, ya might want to up it to a 5 gallon bucket at least, for waste(you will never estimate the correct amout to mix up every time) plus it is cheaper that way.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I used over 10 gallons of resin, 15 yards of 1708, and 5 yards of Mat on my 24 Pantera Transom replacement...
That sounds like a more accurate material list. Probably pretty close to what I used on mine as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
That sounds like a more accurate material list. Probably pretty close to what I used on mine as well.
well i hope that mine doesnt end up that way

i called and up'd the order to 5 gallons of resin. I am getting 5 yards of mat and 5 yards of 1708 also. I measered and did calculations (overestimating everything, of course) and figured that this amount should leave me with extra. hopefully thats right!!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk232
well i hope that mine doesnt end up that way

i called and up'd the order to 5 gallons of resin. I am getting 5 yards of mat and 5 yards of 1708 also. I measered and did calculations (overestimating everything, of course) and figured that this amount should leave me with extra. hopefully thats right!!
you should be good with a five. What is your laminate schedule, how are you laying it up? Transom and stringers or just transom?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Registered

Yeah, I redid my stringers up to the tank(rear bulkhead), and built knees(3) for the outboard and a filler for the splashwell as well. I got a killer deal on the 1708, and resin, so I went to town, and added an extra layer, and some sick tabbing. You may be OK with 5 yards, and if so, 5 gallons should be plenty to wet it out correctly.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Yeah, I redid my stringers up to the tank(rear bulkhead), and built knees(3) for the outboard and a filler for the splashwell as well. I got a killer deal on the 1708, and resin, so I went to town, and added an extra layer, and some sick tabbing. You may be OK with 5 yards, and if so, 5 gallons should be plenty to wet it out correctly.
i think i did my Scarab with around two gallons but it is pretty well balanced. Careful with heavy wet outs that will weaken the laminate. Its the stringers that suck up the resin and yardage.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
i think i did my Scarab with around two gallons but it is pretty well balanced. Careful with heavy wet outs that will weaken the laminate. Its the stringers that suck up the resin and yardage.
YUP,

come to think of it, there was a lot more area than just the transom, transom was about 5 yards, and way less than 5 gallons, got 10 yards at first, plus 5 mat, and ran out of 5 gallons just shy of using up the 1708 and half the mat. But ya gotta acree, it is usually chaeaper in 5 gallon buckets, and never hurts to have extra, sucks to run out, especially if it is not local.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered

rc- it was the thought of having to buy a 4th gallon (which would then bring the total cost up to that of a 5 gallon) that finally pushed me to increasing the order

glassdave- i am still unsure about the very first layer, if it needs to be cabosil or not. if not then my plan is 1 1/2oz mat, 3/4 plywood, 3/4oz mat, 3/4 plywood, 1708, 1708 and i will be using vinylester resin. Steve at us composites told me that i need to use an epoxy to bond the first layer to the transom then the two 3/4 plys together. what are your thoughts on this? I was under the impression that the resin/mat were going to be adequate to i didnt get the epoxy, but I am not questioning that decision

oh and its just the transom
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

Boats were built long ago with just polyester resin and work just fine. Your vinylester may be a little lighter than the poly and flex better which is good. I have done repairs on a few boats and dont see a need for epoxy. You can use vinylester or polyester on kevlar and carbon fiber too. Epoxy just seems really expensive when a polyester or vinylester will work just fine if done correctly. I think if the boat was originally built all epoxy though you probably have to stick with that. I dont think the epoxy and the poly or vinyl are compatible. Or is it the other way around. I foget now. Glass Dave would know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.