chris cat fuel tank replacement >

chris cat fuel tank replacement

Notices

chris cat fuel tank replacement

Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chris cat fuel tank replacement

anyone have any experience with refoaming tanks on a chriscat, I have one that is loose but they aren't leaking, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to classic mako and there is always someone on that site foaming the tank in.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile No Big Deal

Originally Posted by J. Hordubay
anyone have any experience with refoaming tanks on a chriscat, I have one that is loose but they aren't leaking, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
I just did mine and used cans of "good stuff" from hardware store. Sprayed it in , let it expand, re fiberglassed the areas we removed to get it in, Looks good as new!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Registered

Proper Foam: http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html
Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered

thanks for the info guys, jbbeard, did you remove sections of the cockpit floor, if so how did you go about rebounding it back in?
I am thimking of cutting out the section of floor above the tank, repairing the foam and reinstalling the tank, cut back the top layer of flooring and the core leaving the bottom layer of the liner intact and start bonding from there. I was thinking of using 1708 for the glass, unsure what coring material was used, maybe balsa?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Originally Posted by J. Hordubay
thanks for the info guys, jbbeard, did you remove sections of the cockpit floor, if so how did you go about rebounding it back in?
I am thimking of cutting out the section of floor above the tank, repairing the foam and reinstalling the tank, cut back the top layer of flooring and the core leaving the bottom layer of the liner intact and start bonding from there. I was thinking of using 1708 for the glass, unsure what coring material was used, maybe balsa?
I would not do that- I just drilled a few holes big enough for the foam tube and removed a little of the bulkhead in the engine compartment to allow foer insertion of foam under and arround the tank. If you pull up the floor- you might as well take the boat apart and I worry about structural integerity- Less is more!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Originally Posted by c_deezy
this is proper whrn you are building the boat and can pour it in- this fix needs a spray can to insert under pressure
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbbeard
I would not do that- I just drilled a few holes big enough for the foam tube and removed a little of the bulkhead in the engine compartment to allow foer insertion of foam under and arround the tank. If you pull up the floor- you might as well take the boat apart and I worry about structural integerity- Less is more!
James, What spray-in foam did you use? The one with the least amount of expansion?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Exclamation Great Stuff

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
James, What spray-in foam did you use? The one with the least amount of expansion?
I used GREAT STUFF foam can from Lowes- worked great-
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbbeard
I used GREAT STUFF foam can from Lowes- worked great-
Good. But would highly recommend that when doing that type of repair work, choose the Great Stuff foam with the limited expansion. That way you don't have to worry about damaging anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.