Notices

Chip question

Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip question

I have a 07 Formula Fastech, and somehow got 1"X1" chip on the bottom of the hull. I'm wondering if there is a product that I should use to "patch" the chip. I would prefer to fix this problem myself than bring it to a glassguy...... any suggestions????? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

oh sure . . . i tell you . . . .you tell somebody else . . . next thing i know I'm out of a job

Actually small chips like that can easily be fixed in the driveway. If its white i believe West Marine sells kits for chip repair and this is really the best way to obtain small quantities to do minor stuff. I start out by wiping down the area with acetone then take a piece of 80 grip sandpaper and rough up the inside of the chip as deep as you can. Or better yet if you have a die grinder take a ball end carbide and clean it out that way. Be careful to not get to deep into the fiberglass as gel is only good to fill so many mils. If you can get a kit with finish gel (waxed) that would be good but not completely necessary. If the chip isnt to deep i will take a small touch up brush and sort of fill the chip as best ya can then take a piece of masking tape and lightly mask over the chip without pushing down on the actual gel. This will help level the gel and seal it from air to allow full cure. After its cured cut off about an inch of a wood paint stick and wrap a piece of 100 grip sandpaper around to use as a block. Sand the gel level then step up in the grits finer to about 800 or 1000 wet then buff . . . . .

Piece-o-cake
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave..... big help! I will try your method!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Registered

Hi Dave,
Is this the kind of stuff you are talking about?

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=106

Thanks
Speed
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
oh sure . . . i tell you . . . .you tell somebody else . . . next thing i know I'm out of a job

Actually small chips like that can easily be fixed in the driveway. If its white i believe West Marine sells kits for chip repair and this is really the best way to obtain small quantities to do minor stuff. I start out by wiping down the area with acetone then take a piece of 80 grip sandpaper and rough up the inside of the chip as deep as you can. Or better yet if you have a die grinder take a ball end carbide and clean it out that way. Be careful to not get to deep into the fiberglass as gel is only good to fill so many mils. If you can get a kit with finish gel (waxed) that would be good but not completely necessary. If the chip isnt to deep i will take a small touch up brush and sort of fill the chip as best ya can then take a piece of masking tape and lightly mask over the chip without pushing down on the actual gel. This will help level the gel and seal it from air to allow full cure. After its cured cut off about an inch of a wood paint stick and wrap a piece of 100 grip sandpaper around to use as a block. Sand the gel level then step up in the grits finer to about 800 or 1000 wet then buff . . . . .

Piece-o-cake
Huh??? wth is 80 and 100 grip..now I'm scared
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

I use their gel paste for this type of repair.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered

Thanks Knot 4 Me!
They have the color I need. I will let you know how it goes
Speed