Looking for comments on a hull issue

Notices

Looking for comments on a hull issue

Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for comments on a hull issue

Hello all,

I'm working on the purchase of a 1996 26' scarab. The boat appears to be in fantastic shape with the possible exception of one issue. There is a small hole on the front of the keel where it appears there was a prior small repair. I'm posting a picture of it below.

I was hoping that some people with experience would comment on their impression of this damage. I'm trying to gauge whether or not this is a small, medium or large repair. Also, I'm checking to see if this particular damage appears to be minor "normal" stuff, or if it is a red flag for a major problem. I know that what looks minor to my inexperienced eyes could possibly be easily identified as major to the experienced folks around here.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Orestes; 08-15-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered

Just an air bubble between the fiberglass and the gel coat. I had a couple small ones on my scarab. Just cosmetic nusience where they didn't roll the glass mat out good enough to get all the air out.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the information. Your comment gave me a direction on exactly what to search for. It seems the air-void issue is fairly common and easily handled. I'm going to have another look at the hole soon since I'm now a little better informed on what it probably is and how to tell.

Anyone else have a different opinion on this?

Would this type of repair deter any of the knowledgeable folks around here from buying a boat with type of issue?

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it is just an air pocket(had many on my boat I first got it), but it also appears to have some staining around it, and may have been run this way for a while, I would have it checked out before purchase.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I doubt it is anything other than cosmetic damage. Looks like some attempts were made to fix some gel issues, but they did not color match it very well or grind it out enough.