Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Sonic 31SS crack along walkway....what to do?? >

Sonic 31SS crack along walkway....what to do??

Notices

Sonic 31SS crack along walkway....what to do??

Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sonic 31SS crack along walkway....what to do??

Has anyone else had a crack like this show up along the walkway. I am about to email the pictures to sonic. I am wanting to get this repaired this winter. Started measuring it to see if it is spreading and it did seem a little larger after the beating we took at Ozarks. I am not even sure how to fix this or whom to talk to about it. The crack is right in between where the gunwall side of the top meets the walk platform.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not really a fiberglass guy but you might want to drill a small hole at the end of each crack. That should stop it from spreading. If it doesn't, the problem is probably worse than it asppears. I think any good glass guy could fix you up. Then they're just going to tell you to quit jumpin' those big cruiser wakes.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1990 did the same thing. It was there when I bought it. I also discovered the rear bulkhead was rotted and the bulkhead under the helm was very poorly cut and installed. It did not touch the hull most of the way across the boat. May have caused excessive flexing. I took a rasp and ground the crack out. The fiberglass underneath did not look good, like it was dry rotted or delaminating. I filled it with epoxy and filler and gelcoated. Don't now how it held up, I traded it a yr. or so later. I also had tons of spider cracks on the bottom of the boat, and tons of tiny air pockets between the glass and gel.

Last edited by Pure Energy; 09-02-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered

The sonics are notorious for gelcoat cracks... even my 03 has them. If you want to spend the $$$ to fix it, go ahead but another will pop up guaranteed.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Bruce from Sonic commented back in an email:

Hey Josh….Bruce here……..very rare but yes the flexing of the deck and hard gelcoat can cause this problem….nothing structural…..but I know not nice to look at…….a fiberglass repair man can sand fill and spray….it should not be that costly…and that should take care of the problem…….By the way what year is your boat?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
My 1990 did the same thing. It was there when I bought it. I also discovered the rear bulkhead was rotted and the bulkhead under the helm was very poorly cut and installed. It did not touch the hull most of the way across the boat. May have caused excessive flexing. I took a rasp and ground the crack out. The fiberglass underneath did not look good, like it was dry rotted or delaminating. I filled it with epoxy and filler and gelcoated. Don't now how it held up, I traded it a yr. or so later. I also had tons of spider cracks on the bottom of the boat, and tons of tiny air pockets between the glass and gel.
How would I go about researching these problems on my boat. There was an area in the engine compartment against the rear wall that was rotting. I had it cut out last winter and reglassed and it looks great now. They checked the wood around it and said everything looked solid. Is this considered the rear bulk head? I have not seen any cracks on the bottom of the boat. All in all I feel this boat is very solid and in good shape for a 1989 boat. I expect a few little things here and there with a boat of this age.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered

I wonder what glass dave has to say about this???
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Is that crack just in front of the fairing?

Could be the bulkhead under the dash. Try hammering all around that area with your fist. Knock on the area from the hull up to that spot and on top of the cabin. Listen for wood against wood or fiberglass against wood. Should be solid. If you don't hear anything I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

my 2002 31 sonic and 1998 26 sonic all had the same problem as yours , seems like all the sonics eventually do the same thing.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26sonic
my 2002 31 sonic and 1998 26 sonic all had the same problem as yours , seems like all the sonics eventually do the same thing.
So does anyone ever fix them or just keep letting it get bigger and bigger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.