Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Will yellowing/off white color wet sand out? >

Will yellowing/off white color wet sand out?

Notices

Will yellowing/off white color wet sand out?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will yellowing/off white color wet sand out?

My boat is an 89 and most of you have seen it but my question is..... Is there anyone out there who can lift the off white color to the bright white of newer boats or does it just have to be repainted? I really noticed it this weekend at lake Cumberland even though everyone was commenting on it's original condition.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acid & certain Chemicals will contribute to the yellowing process. Some more quick than others.

My best suggestion is to try a spot. I've seen some go down as low as 600 and not make a dent and then seen others that 1000 grit would do the trick. Try the transom in a low spot and see what you think. If it's the deck then pick your spot my friend. Check the wetsanding 101 thread if you need any directions.

MG 67 has alot of additives and has been known to work some wonders, but for a season only at best. Remember I'm subjective, but follow up with my Polish for shine and protection. It will also help in the longevity department.

Keep us posted.

Donnie
Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to bust out the 600 grit on this biatch this winter.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered

Id have to find it again but there was guy in LI on here selling some stuff and everyone was raving about it. Bidegradible and low or no tox.

It wasnt acid based at all.

Do a search and you'll probably be able to find it.

I need to find it for maself because my hull has river stains on the bottom that are getting out of control.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered

600 is deep my friend. May I suggest starting with 1000 just to see if it works.

I somewhat remember that post, but I think they're out of business.

If you want a safe way to clean your hull that won't cause yellowing/bubbling/acid burns then use FSR or my Hull cleaner. There's a little bit of labor involved though. Depending on the severity it's not just a wipe on/off. With the majority of boats we have to scrub as well, but then we also do the job after the boats been in the drink all season. They always come back white though.

Preventitive is your best answer. Once you get the scum off then keep the boat wiped down everytime you put it on the lift or trailer. I also have boats that we get in the water weekly to remove the scum line with a towel and a non scratch pad.

Also, the best formula that's worked for me is to scrub the hull, rinse/dry, buff and then polish. A hideous hull will look absolutely brand new.

Donnie
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

it may be just staining. try acid first