Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Carbon vs Fibre glass >

Carbon vs Fibre glass

Notices

Carbon vs Fibre glass

Old 12-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

FR- it never ceases to amaze me the knowledge that can be found on this site, these guys really know there stuff huh?

However you are comtemplating an $80k addon to your $500k purchase, and the sales guy is telling you it is for acceleration? I would want to speak with someone more knowledgeable at the factory when spending that kind of loot. Some where in that company there is a design engineer that came up with the idea for the carbon lay up, and why. Run past the sales guy and get to him!

Not saying the carbon is a good idea, and it looks like some very knowledgable folks here believe it is not. However I would get more info from someone not in sales and then come back to talk to these guys
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it will be a race boat, can carbon fibre be repaired as easily as the fibreglass?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Since it will be a race boat, can carbon fibre be repaired as easily as the fibreglass?
Yes that is no problem.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve 1;3285017]I would bag everything and use unidirectional "S" glass for a tight laminate as you can see I use foam core and have built VERY Light with this system.
QUOTE]

A quick question? .......trying to visualize and sort out the different types of Glass......unidirectional 1708 is put into what catagory?...is it "E"?......what about the early CSM's or the WR's ....Also, does "S" glass have the best tensile strenght before you get to kevlar & CF ...sorry to slow things down
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=scippy;3285348]
Originally Posted by Steve 1
I would bag everything and use unidirectional "S" glass for a tight laminate as you can see I use foam core and have built VERY Light with this system.
QUOTE]

A quick question? .......trying to visualize and sort out the different types of Glass......unidirectional 1708 is put into what catagory?...is it "E"?......what about the early CSM's or the WR's ....Also, does "S" glass have the best tensile strenght before you get to kevlar & CF ...sorry to slow things down

Here is a chart ,You can see the S- Glass in comparison ,The 1708 is a complete reinforcement with glass in both directions -45 +45 and a mat stitched on ,Now a uni Imagine all the glass running in one direction and very flat,This gives a very good filament to resin ratio.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Steve, So the early boat lay ups of Mat & woven roving don't even figure on that chart, very interesting.......Since I'll be doing my repairs w/Vnyle resin & 1708 ....an "E" glass catagory is not really so bad.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by scippy
Steve, So the early boat lay ups of Mat & woven roving don't even figure on that chart, very interesting.......Since I'll be doing my repairs w/Vnyle resin & 1708 ....an "E" glass catagory is not really so bad.

Yes Sir a Vinylester and E-Glass 1708 is a good choice for doing repairing,A decent Vinylester has nearly twice the tensile strength of a polyester.

Last edited by Steve 1; 12-30-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellows,

Bought the boat in fibreglass/divinycell efter getting the input from Steve. Thanks! I think the boat will be more comfortable on full attack as well. Canīt wait!!

//FR
Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredrik R
Fellows,

Bought the boat in fibreglass/divinycell efter getting the input from Steve. Thanks! I think the boat will be more comfortable on full attack as well. Canīt wait!!

//FR
Congrats! Post up some pics/vids when you get it!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fredrik R
Fellows,

//FR
Sir the new E-Glass fabrics have the glass presented flat with no crimp so every filament is equally loaded ,combine that with a core and you have a very nice "I" Beam effect where the glass acts as the flanges and the core is the web, the ideal setup for this material ,Now that said the killer here is a resin rich layup and going through the info on their web site they Infuse the boats so your Resin to glass ratio should be in the 60-70 percent glass which would be Ideal.Good luck and safe boating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.