prepping a re-gelcoated boat for paint >

prepping a re-gelcoated boat for paint

Notices

prepping a re-gelcoated boat for paint

Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prepping a re-gelcoated boat for paint

I am looking for advice on prepping a classic boat that was originally metal flake top-side, and solid color hull, that was then gelcoated solid colors over the original, which I now want to paint. there are little signs of stress and spider cracking coming through in a few very small spots, and a few cracks and peeling chips in the "new" gelcoat leading me to believe that painting over all of this is not a good idea. I am going to flake/clear the topside and solid color the hull, but I want to get down into something that will provide a good bond for an epoxy primer base that I can flake over. I am not opposed to spraying a color coat over the gelcoated hull,as it will basically be the same color anyway, so if it gets scratched or chipped, it won't be very noticeable until I have a chance to touch it up. any advice on the best way to get through this gelcoat? just heavy grit and a DA?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I will put more up later (I'm posting from my droid at the moment) but it sounds like you will need to remove most of that recoat job. You are correct you don't want to go over an unstable surface. What color are going to put on it?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will be a custom flake blend, over a flat black epoxy primer. the bottom of the hull will be a version of white of some sort, not too glossy and modern looking, but not an off-white either, if that makes sense. the topside color is not going to resemble the current gelcoat color, or the original orange flake color, so I need a good bond, and will fully cover it with black primer to set a base for the new color.