gelcoat clean up >

gelcoat clean up

Notices

gelcoat clean up

Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gelcoat clean up

I have been doing gelcoat repairs now for a few years, not very often though. I have always used laquer thinner for clean up. It doesn't seem to work very well. Is acetone the better solvent for clean up? I have to take my gun completely apart and clean it between coats or it gels up and gets plugged, or is this just the nature of doing gelcoat? Just looking for better ways of doing things.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Registered

I use acetone, its cheap and works. As for gelling up and having to clean more often yep, it definately isn't paint. After I had it gel up and turn into a rock in an expensive gun I'm like you and clean it out very often. Anymore if doing a small repair I spend the $4 on a Preval aerosol sprayer and shoot the gel out of that. If you go that route pop the mini screen of the end of the tube before filling the bottle. Gel coat seems to build up on that screen and stops the flow. Hopefully that helps a little.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

when spraying gel you should always run acetone through the gun thoroughly before you mix the next batch and load it up again. If you are running multiple mixes in series the gel from the first mix will adhere to the passages in the gun and will start to kick as you are running subsequent cups through. The earlier stuff will be on a different curing schedule, hopefully that made sense lol. I use a regular "dump" gun for gel and it only takes 30 seconds or so to strip, clean and reassemble.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-30-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon
I use acetone, its cheap and works. As for gelling up and having to clean more often yep, it definately isn't paint. After I had it gel up and turn into a rock in an expensive gun I'm like you and clean it out very often. Anymore if doing a small repair I spend the $4 on a Preval aerosol sprayer and shoot the gel out of that. If you go that route pop the mini screen of the end of the tube before filling the bottle. Gel coat seems to build up on that screen and stops the flow. Hopefully that helps a little.
+1
Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered

Thanks, I will get some acetone and see how that works. I will look in to getting a different gun, something thats easier to clean.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by C.I.M.
Thanks, I will get some acetone and see how that works. I will look in to getting a different gun, something thats easier to clean.
Go to uscomposites.com and take a look at their spray equipment. These dump guns (I believe there at the top of the page) work well and are super easy to clean. A must have for spraying gel
Old 01-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered

I'm not seeing any guns on there dave, do you have a direct link to the gun? I'd like to check them out also.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Brandon
I'm not seeing any guns on there dave, do you have a direct link to the gun? I'd like to check them out also.
If you got to the products page then hit accessories then spray equipment its the one at the top of the page. The black dump gun with the quart cup on top, they work great and don't cost a lot. I will try and post a direct link later, posting from my droid and don't know how to copy a link.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

I found it Dave. I'll have to get one of those. Thanks. Have you ever tried the one under it that mixes the gel and the catalyst while it's spraying? Seems kinda iffy to me but if it works hey, you'd never have to worry about it hardening.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I've heard the external mix one can be spotty, not worth the risk in my opinion. I've had my dump gun for years and its super simple (the whole thing is like six pieces) works fantastic and i have used it on some pretty big pieces with good success. Standard plastic 1qt mixing cups will also fit but you will want to tape the seam and use an old cup capped over it with a hole cut in the bottom to secure it with the spring loaded catch (you'll understand what i mean when ya get it lol)

Last edited by glassdave; 01-02-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.