Notices

Its laquer

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Its laquer

We have been doing some pre-prepping on the batboat and found that the current paint was done in laquer. Time for some up close and personal time with a DA sander! Why in the world would anybody spray a laquer based paint on a boat (or about anything for that matter)?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Laquer paint should cause you no problems... Not sure but quessing you sprayed a heavy coat of primer on a sanded area and it wrinkled/lifted? Laquer primer... ???

You can put enamel over lacquer but not vis versa. I used do do alot of custom paint w/lacquer then urethane or acrylic enam. clear coat over top to protect. That was the prefered stuff back in the day for airbrushing as it dried so fast for multi colors and wet sanding.

New paint is way different and you can't hardly buy lacquer today. New stuff dries way fast too but has weird "windows" you have to work w/in. I miss my lacquers...

There are guys on here way more up to date on this new stuff than me but sounds like you sprayed a heavy coat of lacquer primer over acrylic enamel to me. Jus guessing...
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Actually, we had noticed that when mineral spirits was allowed to sit on the paint for a bit that it would begin to lift. We had used the spirits in cleaning off windshiled goo. It appears that we can get to good paint by sanding through the top coat. It also happens to be a THICK coat, so it pretty well sucks.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acrylic enamel time windows

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Laquer paint should cause you no problems... Not sure but quessing you sprayed a heavy coat of primer on a sanded area and it wrinkled/lifted? Laquer primer... ???

You can put enamel over lacquer but not vis versa. I used do do alot of custom paint w/lacquer then urethane or acrylic enam. clear coat over top to protect. That was the prefered stuff back in the day for airbrushing as it dried so fast for multi colors and wet sanding.

New paint is way different and you can't hardly buy lacquer today. New stuff dries way fast too but has weird "windows" you have to work w/in. I miss my lacquers...

There are guys on here way more up to date on this new stuff than me but sounds like you sprayed a heavy coat of lacquer primer over acrylic enamel to me. Jus guessing...
underdog your right about time windows to clear or do more paint work spies hecker base coat does not have atime window also if you use intercoat you can quick skuff with grey skuff pad and contine with another color as for the lacquer base should be sanded completely off or it will continue to cause problems
Old 02-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
Actually, we had noticed that when mineral spirits was allowed to sit on the paint for a bit that it would begin to lift. We had used the spirits in cleaning off windshiled goo. It appears that we can get to good paint by sanding through the top coat. It also happens to be a THICK coat, so it pretty well sucks.
Tango gots to be carefull on what your using on windshiels & canopies ....good luck with the project
get the trailer all done today ?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
Tango gots to be carefull on what your using on windshiels & canopies ....good luck with the project
get the trailer all done today ?
I was very careful with what I used on the polycarbonate windshield pieces. I finally got them all cleaned up and ready to be re-installed when ready. The mineral spirits was used to get the goo leftover on the fiberglass.

The boat is stripped, sanded, prepped and ready for the first coat of primer (maybe tomorrow). It is on jackstands right now. I took the trailer to another painter today so that it can get out of the booth as soon as completed. It will be in the matching Synergy green paint.

The graphics guy is completing all of the graphics now. I have one primary sponsor and about 5 "sub-sponsors" to put on the boat. Should be pretty cool.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
I was very careful with what I used on the polycarbonate windshield pieces. I finally got them all cleaned up and ready to be re-installed when ready. The mineral spirits was used to get the goo leftover on the fiberglass.

The boat is stripped, sanded, prepped and ready for the first coat of primer (maybe tomorrow). It is on jackstands right now. I took the trailer to another painter today so that it can get out of the booth as soon as completed. It will be in the matching Synergy green paint.

The graphics guy is completing all of the graphics now. I have one primary sponsor and about 5 "sub-sponsors" to put on the boat. Should be pretty cool.
Tango...some pics of your project would be great...I'm ancious to see it!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

Finally got the first coat of primer on today. I will post some pics soon.

A couple of days ago we did put the boat on stands and removed the trailer. For timing purposes, I took the trailer to another painter. I will pick it up tomorrow. The pics he texted me looks pretty goo. It is painted Synergy Green to match the boat.