re-installing fuel tank help >

re-installing fuel tank help

Notices

re-installing fuel tank help

Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-installing fuel tank help

I am just finishing up replacing the cabin door bulkhead and a few stringers under the cockpit floor in my '85 38' scarab, due to rot. When I pulled the fuel tank out, the foam surrounding it was saturated with water. Is there a better product out to secure the tank in the hull that will not hold the water? Should I brace the tank, off the bottom of the hull, so water can flow? There is two 1" pvc pipes that run from the cabin bildge to the engine compartment, but there is no way for the fuel tank section to drain. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.
Thank you,
steve
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by saleensteve
I am just finishing up replacing the cabin door bulkhead and a few stringers under the cockpit floor in my '85 38' scarab, due to rot. When I pulled the fuel tank out, the foam surrounding it was saturated with water. Is there a better product out to secure the tank in the hull that will not hold the water? Should I brace the tank, off the bottom of the hull, so water can flow? There is two 1" pvc pipes that run from the cabin bildge to the engine compartment, but there is no way for the fuel tank section to drain. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.
Thank you,
steve
reuse the pcv pipes or install new ones, and seal both ends,Foam is the best bet for securing the tank in place,if you dont support the bottom of the tank it will rupture from all the weight,it needs to be secure..scrape all the old foam off,take it in and have it pressure tested for leaks,sand the tank down to its bare what ever it is,seal it with epoxy paint(2 part)..

once the tank is in place secure it in place and you will need to put 2x4's over the top of the tank,fron and back so when you poar the foam around the tank it wont lift the tank out of place..Trim back the foam around the tank and slightly taper it back to the back of the tank,get 1/2'' coosa board and make some trim panels to go around the tank,glue them in place with 3m 4200 and seal around the edges of the trim panels you made with the 4200, drill 2 1'' holes in the rear bulk head and install 2 plastic through hull fittings but make sure you seal them also,,thease panels around the tank will keep the water from soaking through the top side of the tank and let the water drain into the bilge.

Last edited by FIXX; 02-20-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information.