engine compartment >

engine compartment

Notices

engine compartment

Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine compartment

Does anyone have an idea what is the quickest and most effective way to clean the area underneath the engines.My motors are out and I want to clean 20 years of grime off the bottom.Any answers would be appreciated.Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

I used Simple Green, full strength, sprayed it directly, used a plastic bristle brush to work it through the crud. A little bit of water helps, but not so much to dilute the simple green. Took about 2 hours of scrubbing and rinsing
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

Thanks for your time,do you think any over spray will damage electrical wires,etc.?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by davej
Does anyone have an idea what is the quickest and most effective way to clean the area underneath the engines.My motors are out and I want to clean 20 years of grime off the bottom.Any answers would be appreciated.Thanks
I just did mine which was a mess, 25 years of grime. At work when we move a press which leaks years of hydraulic oil on to the floor we found out the best cleaner to clean the floor for paint is a can of Comet powdered cleanser. $1 at the dollar store. I used a hand scrub brush and a new round toilet bowl brush to get in to crevices. I scrubbed for about 2 hours and hose it out the drain plug into a 5 gallon bucket. After drying over night I then used rags and wiped down the bilge 4 to 5 times with isopropyl alcohol to get the last of the residue of and ready for paint. You will be surprised at how good isopropyl cuts grease. I then painted.

It was a lot of work
Attached Thumbnails engine compartment-bilge.jpg   engine compartment-bilge1.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by davej
Thanks for your time,do you think any over spray will damage electrical wires,etc.?
Nope, it's pretty mild. Rinse well anyways.

Dang Rookie that looks great!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

I have a product called Bio-Clean.It works awesome on bilges and its also a fire retardant.Go to Adrenalinerushracing.com and click on the Power1One logo.you can order it there and I will send it right to your house or business.Its made by Fountain of Youth restoration products.They sponsor my race boat.Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use castrol super clean and a good brush and dig in/
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Lacquer thinners......lots of rags.....ventilate well.....Bilge Kote.
Attached Thumbnails engine compartment-dsc00889.jpg   engine compartment-cakes-001.jpg   engine compartment-cakes-002.jpg  

engine compartment-dsc01247.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 04-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.