The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout >

The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout

Notices

The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout

Old 05-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts
Default The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout

I have made some Major headway and thought I would post on my build... I had a thread on the other site but a friend keeps asking to post it over here... Currently the Boat is at Glass Daves and the interior at XTs..

After graduating school, my fiance got a job offer in Wisconsin. She was originally was working in NYC while I finished of my schooling in Cleveland. We both decided WI would be a good place since she had an offer and there was allot of industry for me to find work. I knew it would be tough leaving my family, Pop's, and the Top Gun. Yes, the cig is not exactly mine. My job was to drive it and keep it running. I did all the work on it except for writing the checks. How lucky was I!! On the weekends I must have looked like the biggest punk kid. That was funny considering on the weekdays I was driving back and forth to school in my rusted out Suzuki Samurai..... Since I payed for my college through co-oping, we thought to name the boat "College Tuition".... That never happend.

After moving up to WI and deciding on what Job offer to take, I found a 21" Apache Scout on Ebay.... I fell In love. I always knew I wanted one. Especially one with an outboard. I felt an outboard was best for being up North. No major winterization needed. This meant boating almost all year was an option. It just depended on how crazy one wanted to be. Funny thing, last weekend up here it was a high of 59°F. Yes, I would have went out. Ang agreed and so we bought it site unseen. We were totaly excited. My buddy lived an hour away in Jax, ItsPeanut picked it, made the transaction, and towed it up to Cleveland for me.

Last edited by J-Bonz; 05-22-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Registered

--Continued--
Here was the Ebay description....
Vehicle Description
Apache 21’
Classic offshore deep-vee performance hull design and profile, hand built by Apache Powerboats on Powerboat Row in North Miami Beach Florida, a true legend in the industry!
Details
Hull
21’ Apache - hand lay up fiberglass, built in 1991, original gel coat, never bottom painted, always dry stored.
Motor
Mercury Offshore 200 HP - also 1991 w/ approx 218 HRS. 7 reed induction with 20 minutes on recent major service. Stainless Steel ‘thruster‘ prop.
Trailer
Continental double axle, galvanized, new tires and bearings.
Features
• White original gel coat.
• Custom one off factory original Imron graphics.
• Custom flush mount cleats and running lights.
• Custom teal and purple interior upholstery done by Cigarette factory crew.
• Gaffrig performance instruments in custom color anodized bezels.
• Hynautic steering.
• Starboard bases for bucket / bolster seats.
• Sony marine am/fm cassette stereo.
• Dual Batteries (new) with master switch.
• Bilge pump.
• Full hull cover and separate snap in cockpit cover.
• Docking lines and dock bumpers.
• Under deck cuddy with stowage well and forward anchor locker.
• Built-in cooler.
• Professionally detailed hull and interior.
• Serviced and maintained by certified Mercury Racing mechanic.
Well maintained and in excellent condition, a boat of exceptional design and quality construction. Help this incredibly unique piece of offshore powerboat history find a great home.
This boat has been valued at more than $20,000 by its last marine survey!!! Take advantage of this great deal from an extremely motivated seller!
YOU WILL NOT FIND A BOAT LIKE THIS ANYWHERE -- APACHE FOUNDER BOB SACCENTI ESTIMATES THAT FEWER THAN 60 OF THESE SCOUTS WERE MADE IN THE EARLY 1990s, AND EACH WAS COMPLETELY ONE-OF-A-KIND!
This boat is as at home on the lakes as it is in the ocean -- a truly versatile trailer boat!
Good luck and happy bidding! Please contact seller with any questions prior to submitting an offer.
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-c41b_3.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-d9f1_3.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-d076_3.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Registered

Speaking with the owner before I purchased, He said the boat was Mint!! He just replaced the water pump, carbs rebuilt, and 2 new batteries installed so the new owner was good to go..... I know this is when everybody and myself would say "Should have gotten a Surveyor". I agree, I just couldn't justify spending the money on that and a plane ticket down to check it out considering the agreed upon selling price.

Well, I got the boat and this is what I found.......
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2190.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2192.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2193.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Registered

Ok, So it must be sand & dirt from the storing a dirty Anchor............ NOPE!!
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2195.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2196.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2199.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Registered

I eat, sleep, drink, read everything to do with boats since I was 5 years old. I even worked at a local marine store and moved my way up from a B.N. to the main mechanics assistant before I went to school for my engineering degree. For my fellow Notherners including myself, This boat was an all you can eat crab legs night for Termites. I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE, along with others, EVER HEARD OF THIS.....
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2202.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2203.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-img_2209.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Registered

FYI, I dont believe the seller is on the forums nor do I care. The only resolution that was made was by me!! Do I fix it or sell it in the condition it is.... I knew I could not sell it. I could not scew anyone over intentionally..... I dont have that in my heart.. No matter of the circumstances. I decided on my only other alternative... FIX IT. Unfortunately my better half did not understand the whole story nor did I want to explain it to her. We enjoyed using the boat 3 times on the river in Milwaukee before I started to slowly strip the boat down.... Yes we wore life jackets the whole time and took it very easy
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-milwaukee-7-27-2008-020.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-milwaukee-7-27-2008-023.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-milwaukee-7-27-2008-024.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 AM
Registered

So it brings me to a 2.5 year ago, pondering on my choices.... I called various glass guys to get some estimates......... over the phone... Yes, I am not that much of an idiot but I had to start somewhere. How can anyone give an estimate on replacing all the wood on a boat over the phone, now thats funny. Luckily they were all nice and gave me a guarantied starting price... After hearing the quotes I contemplated scuttling it. The prices to fix compared to spent was to close..... But, I knew I couldn't scuttle it!! He**, I would have bought the boat in the condition it was if i got a better price knowingly the work that needed to be done. I love this stuff to much to see any great high perf boat get chopped up and sent to the top of the hill in a dumpster..

(By no means am I looking for a pity party... This is where I was back then and just wanted to give some preface to the story of how I got to where I am.. )
So the work began starting to strip the boat....
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-6-16-08-006.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-6-16-08-007.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-6-16-08-009.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Registered

Well,
Before I go any Further, I want to thank the following people that have greatly helped me thus far.....

1. The First has to be "GlassDave"!! He has answered every Question I had no matter where he was!! He took my call when he was at his marina party, In NYC for SBI, and even when he was driving to Maryland for a race. Without him I would still be reading the West Systems book..... The boat is now in his hands for paint and finishing work

2. Second is my buddy "ItsPeanut" who pushed me to work on it any given free time I have! He knew I could do it but also saw how much work it needed / still needs. All I can hear him say is "Dude, Your never going to get it done be next summer.... " I cant thank him enough for flying up to work on it also!!

3. Third, My pops who never gets tired of hearing about it and always wanting updates. He even came up and helped me bond a stringer together & replace wheel bearings. I really have him to thank for getting into this mess.... He got me started in the boating stuff when I was young enough to sit on his lap and drive...

4. My buddy Larz you has taught me everything about mechanical work! The best take away had to be "You can do anything if you read and study about it!"

5. Finally, the most important person is my fiance, Ang!! She is ok with all the hours I put in on it and cant wait to finally get back out on it. She is my Only / Main Glass Girl. She has helped out more than she can understand. She has helped me glass in all the wood so far!!!!
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-3rd-anual-kellys-island-10-3-2010-039.1.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-scan0001.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-8-7-2010-michigan-city-boat-races-129.1.jpg  

The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-milwaukee-10-27-2007-006.1.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-8-6-2009-017.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Registered

So, With every thing stripped out of the boat except for the dash components, it was time to take out the removable floor over the gas tank....
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-11-5-2008-boat-001.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-11-5-2008-boat-002.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-11-5-2008-boat-003.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Registered

There was a "cabin" floor that I had to cut out with it. That must have not been put in from Bobby S. It seamed to me to be a Hack job. I was not impressed with that.
Attached Thumbnails The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-11-5-2008-boat-005.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-11-5-2008-boat-006.jpg   The Re-Birth of an Apache Scout-11-5-2008-boat-007.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.