bonding hull & deck question?

Notices

bonding hull & deck question?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default bonding hull & deck question?

I'm in the process of glassing the full deck to the hull (27 Mag sport) it's a bare hull so access is no problem to the inside perimeter...........I've already bonded an area (deck to hull) above the transom with Vinylester & 1708 (I sanded off all the paint down to fiberglass in order to get a good secondary bond) My question is, If I use epoxy do I still have to sand off all the paint in order to get a good bond like you would with the Vinylesters? ......It's a very tight squeeze in the other areas ahead of me and just want to know the best resin to use that doesn't require all the paint to be off for a decent bond. Also, What type fabric works well with Epoxy in a very tight curved area?................Thanks

Last edited by scippy; 05-23-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 1976 boat I would just use polyester since thats what the boat is most likely made of. Also much cheaper. No need for epoxy on that old of a boat.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cleaner & better prepped the surface, the better the adhesion & strength. Regardless of which resin used. J
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess what I'm askin' is, on poorer bonding surfaces what is a more tenacious laminating resin Vinylester or Epoxy?.......the area I intend to bond together (deck to hull) at best would still have a little paint leftover on the surface of the areas I intend to glass together...........Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I think both products will bond well to just about anything that's oil and wax free however the real question is how well the paint/etc. sticks or bonds to the surface it's on. I can imagine it's difficult in some areas to have it all prepped perfectly however just do the best you can and then some and go a head and glass it with either or. As long as you don't have long stretches of areas that aren't stripped/ground back you should be fine. I ran into a very simular circumstance recently. I figured if I did the best I could as I want it to last and be as strong as possible that it was probably more than a lot of shops would do that do it everyday. Good luck.
John
Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by scippy
I guess what I'm askin' is, on poorer bonding surfaces what is a more tenacious laminating resin Vinylester or Epoxy?.......the area I intend to bond together (deck to hull) at best would still have a little paint leftover on the surface of the areas I intend to glass together...........Thanks

As I mentioned getting as much off as possible is best. The more grip the better.. However, yes the epoxy will still be a better product to use & stronger than other resins would be..

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations
Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I decided to go with epoxy on this job and also ordered some 12 oz. double bias cloth...........Does epoxy resin (generally) need any thickening when wetting out?..............Jamie & John -Thanks for all the insights
Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

nope, but from west systems experience, you will get longer pot time using a large diameter shallow container vs a small diameter deep one...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by scippy
I decided to go with epoxy on this job and also ordered some 12 oz. double bias cloth...........Does epoxy resin (generally) need any thickening when wetting out?..............Jamie & John -Thanks for all the insights
Youre welcome..

No, you should not need to thicken it. Actually the more resin that penetrates into the glass & material the better in your situation... You could also always put more than one or two layers of material in there if you wanted to.. J