repainting trailer???? >

repainting trailer????

Notices

repainting trailer????

Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repainting trailer????

I am thinking of repainting my trailer. It has some light surface rust on some of the crossbars and some heavy spots that need fixed on the fenders around the diamond plate. Im gonna use an epoxy primer and a single stage urethane top coat.
Can i scuff the old paint on the areas that are still good and paint over them or should i prime the whole trailer?
If i prime the whole trailer does it need to be sanded down to metal or can i just DA it and get it scuffed good and prime over it?
I will be doing this when i have a week off so i need to be able to get it done in that time.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Registered

In the areas that there is no signs of rust you will only need to sand those spots for paint! however you might have coverage issuse with your paint if you use a cheaper urathane paint. you wont have this problems if you use PPG concept single stage as it covers great!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Save your money and use sherwin williams hi solids polyurethane part # b65 w 11 or 6405-17687.this is a white in color paint..they make several colors,it is also a marine coating..it comes in a 2 part one gallon and a qt of hardener..you may want to get the reducer if you spray it because its as thick as latex,,rolls on real nice and looks like it was sprayed if you use a foam roller..
cost, 118.00 for paint and hardener..
Old 06-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered

how much sprayable paint will i need? using ppg concept. the trailer is 27ft from tongue to rear of trailer
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

just to be safe I would say a gallon! I would also use dcx9 for hardner is the slowest they have! I just painted a 35 footer and used gallon and a half!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered

How many coats did you put on it?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by floyd7811
How many coats did you put on it?
Two coats on all the internal stuff but i went back and put a good third wet coat on the outside beams and fenders so it would lay out good, since its the part of the trailer you can really see. your biggest problem is avoiding dry spots in ur paint, normally when painting a car you would recoat after fifteen mins or so, but with a trailer it might take you an hour per coat!
you might be able to make three quarts do but if you run out in the middle of the paint job ur kinda screewed! what color is it?

Last edited by pagerboy; 06-21-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by floyd7811
I am thinking of repainting my trailer. It has some light surface rust on some of the crossbars and some heavy spots that need fixed on the fenders around the diamond plate. Im gonna use an epoxy primer and a single stage urethane top coat.
Can i scuff the old paint on the areas that are still good and paint over them or should i prime the whole trailer?
If i prime the whole trailer does it need to be sanded down to metal or can i just DA it and get it scuffed good and prime over it?
I will be doing this when i have a week off so i need to be able to get it done in that time.
When i did mine i used nason epoxy and nason single stage. One good coat of epoxy, and one coat of paint on the inside rails and two on the outside rails of the trailer. Thats all you need.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

Purple. i will stick with a gallon, i dont want to run out in the middle.

paperboy- when you say you used a gallon and a half was that pre mixed or was it a gallon and a half after you mixed the hardner and reducer with the paint?

Last edited by floyd7811; 06-22-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

was not mixed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.