Notices

Rocket repaint

Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket repaint

Bought a sunsation rocket hull. The boat is red and is to far gone to wet sand out the chalkiness. I am going to paint the whole boat. Any suggestions on what paint to use. It will be trailered maybe spend one night a year overnight in the water. Still debating on painting it myself or having a pro do it. Also not sure if I want to paint the bottom or just wheel it as best I can and leave it with some chalkiness. Any body have any suggestions ?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

if you want it just one color PPG's Concept single stage works great. Durable and easy to care for. Is this boat from the Detroit area? One of Neils boats?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Registered

Thanks for the response Dave. I really appreciate all the helpful information you give on here. Yes this is the Rocket that Neil had advertised. I dug into the boat a little bit and all the wood is pretty solid. Should be a great project. I would rather regel the boat than paint it. Not sure what the price differnce is but I am going to investigate that route also. Would like to not paint the bottom but it is pretty chaulky. I am going to see how good I can wheel out the bottom at least. Think I will go red again just because that is probably the easiest and if it gets scratched it will be the same color underneath. Right now I am thinkin that I will get the boat all prepped to spray then have a pro spray it for me. I really need to rerig the boat with new power, hydraulic steering etc. before I paint just to make sure all the holes in the transom are going to work out for me. Right now I am thinking about 500 horsepower should do just fine. Want to keep up with the big boys on the fun runs. This project will probably take me a couple of years. Meanwhile I still have my Powerquest to play on.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
if you want it just one color PPG's Concept single stage works great. Durable and easy to care for. Is this boat from the Detroit area? One of Neils boats?
+1, Unless your doing graphics the go base/clear so your graphics are buried under the clear so you dont have nasty lines from multi colors.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An experment

Try and experment just for s##ts and grin and it might save you a bunch of money.
Pick out the worst part of the boat for being chaulky. Take a rubber sanding block and start out with 600 wet and a bucket of water and and towell take the towell and keep the area wet while you block it out where just doing a small test area. Take a dry towell dry it off and see if the chaulk is gone. Now take some 1200 wet and block it out again. You know you will have it done when the area has the same lightly scratched haze.
Now get some polishing compound Mquires makes good products it has a little abrasives in it for fine cutting. Take the applicator and rub in a little on the area and put some pressure on it then rub off with a clean terry towell . I f my hunch is right and your gell coat is still good under the chaulk it should be very glossy.

If this works then go get a electric buffer and wet sand the whole boat with the 600 first then cut it with 1200 then after words use a wool pad for cutting it then finish up with a wax with a polish pad. Get a pad cleaner with the wheels on it to keep your pad clean. Its a lot of work but it might just save you having to paint the whole boat.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Well I am going to prep the boat myself and have it sprayed. Does anyone know the cost difference between paint and gel. Also anyone you can reccomend to do the work around the Flint, Detroit area of Michigan. I gutted the interior down to bare stringers today, happy to say the boat is real solid and clean. Thanks for any advice
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to St Clair Customs in Harrison Twp. They right off of I-94 and North River Road. They do lots of boats and restorations.

Dan 586-76 4- 2 9 2 0