Paint Vs Gel Coat ??? >

Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

Notices

Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

I have a 22 foot Scarab that I want add some flash this year ...the gel coat is ok but could be better and has some small cracks in the gel on the deck . I want to redo the boat and fix her up . I want a poker run boat appearance but in a smaller version .

When I admire all these poker run boats are they all gel coated or painted .

What is better ...can anybody give me some suggestions ??

Thanks in advance !!!
Mopwr
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Depends on what you want to spend and what the look your going for. Cheapest way out would be to go with a full wrap. You can design anything you want graphics wise and they print it out and apply it as a big sticker to the boat. Next would be paint...price wise
And if you are thinking of doing gel then its probably going to be only a single color and theres alot of work involved as it doesnt go on as smooth as paint does and needs alot of sanding/buffing afterwards to get it to shine perfect....but its probably the toughest out of the bunch...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info ...My feedback is a lot of the poker run boats are painted with a base clear ...might take that route ...Gel seems lots of work and lots of money
Old 09-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

They are painted....but you have to keep someting in mind.....what looks good to you may not look good to everyone else and may hurt you as far as re-sale goes later.....with a wrap, you get the good looks you want but can peel it off and let the next guy do what they want instead of being stuck with something wild or crazy.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

You can do some cool stuff with wraps but from what I have sceen they rip/gouge kind of easy. If you tie-up or dock alot it may not be the best thing. Just my .02
Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

I have a 22 scarab also and all the decals were removed by the previous owner. I have spent some time re-gelling some dock rash and wet sanding some inperfections to get things looking nice.

I want to paint but I dont understand it all. Some paints are for above the water line and others are not?