Restoring Gelcoat -versus- Painting (?) Pro's & Con's

Notices

Restoring Gelcoat -versus- Painting (?) Pro's & Con's

Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glassdave,

Quick question if you don't mind..

Can you give me a "rough" price on re-Gel vs Paint on a a 24 V bottom hull only?

No real damage needing repair other than normal chips and dings over the years.

Not trying to hold you to a price, just trying to get a feel for the rough cost so I can budget for it.

Also when is the best time of the year for you to take on new projects? Hoping to have something done before next spring.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Glassdave,

Quick question if you don't mind..

Can you give me a "rough" price on re-Gel vs Paint on a a 24 V bottom hull only?

No real damage needing repair other than normal chips and dings over the years.

Not trying to hold you to a price, just trying to get a feel for the rough cost so I can budget for it.

Also when is the best time of the year for you to take on new projects? Hoping to have something done before next spring.

Thanks,

Dave
Aprox 3.5k for paint 5 to 6K for gel, its early and i have about half my winter booked already. Sooner you can commit the better but i understand it takes time to work a budget sometimes. Thanks for considering me for the project.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Aprox 3.5k for paint 5 to 6K for gel, its early and i have about half my winter booked already. Sooner you can commit the better but i understand it takes time to work a budget sometimes. Thanks for considering me for the project.
THANKS!

Will be in touch next week to discuss, what is the best way to get a hold you?

You can send me that in a PM if you like.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice stuff. Do you free tape or plotter cut? I picked up a 48 inch Graphtec a few years ago and do a mix so i can tailor to the shape of whatever I'm workin on . I do a lot of stuff in CorelDraw then scale it and kick it to my cutter.

Damn Jimi . . . . . guess we kinda took over. We'll get back on track after we hear from ya
I free tape every thing with eather 1/8 or 1/4 inch blue fine line. And hand airbrush and also hand pin stripe everything with a mac 00 brush. And burry it all with clear. except for my old boat. it was hot rod black over the gloss white gel so it had an edge.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
Im an experenced custom painter of 16 years and i have used base coat/ Clear coat on several boats. Its affordable and durable. It will not seperate if the boat is left in water for a extended time period. and it gives you the opportunity to do multi color designs without having a tape edge like enamel paints.
Thanks for that Josh - I was referring to some info i read about painting and could dig the info back up at a later date - that's why i put the question marks - I was not sure what the info was and did not do the smart thing and save the web article to my favorites.

Anyways - I will dig deeper into what you have suggested and make the right decision i am sure.

thanks again
Old 10-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
I free tape every thing with eather 1/8 or 1/4 inch blue fine line. And hand airbrush and also hand pin stripe everything with a mac 00 brush. And burry it all with clear. except for my old boat. it was hot rod black over the gloss white gel so it had an edge.
no worries Josh - I learn a hell-of-a-lot from reading all the posts on this forum - LOL

I emailed with Glass Dave a few months back asking about gel-coat restoration - I did not know he did acrylics too - looks like the best and cheaper way to go is paint - and i get a easy to clean finish with graphics - that suits me just fine.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Sorry for the hyjack Jimi . . . . that'll teach ya to take so long to reply
Dave - you and i emailed a few months back - i am not even in your time zone - lol

no worries my man - I told Josh I always learn one hell-of-a-lot by reading all the posts

got some darn good photos of those ? Woodies ? outta the deal too - lol
Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

do you keep the boat in the water full time? whats the longest its in for?

When the boats gelcoat finish has been compromised and has exceeded its useful life sometimes were left with no other choice but paint. Generally i try to preserve the running surface at all costs, no paint is good on the bottom of the boat. Its best to only paint from the hard chine up. In some cases if a boat is going to be kept in the water for long periods i have designed graphics packages that leave gelcoat on the sides of the boat up to the start of the bottom edge of the graphics. The paint used on most boats these days is high solids acrylic urethane, not acrylic enamels. For solid colors i use PPG's single stage Concept DCC and for base/clear graphics i use PPG's Deltron 2000 DBC base with DCU 2021 clear.

You also have the option to re gelcoat the entire boat although the process can be very costly.

An articulate response Dave - i contacted you months ago asking for you to come out of town to gel-coat my boat - I really had no idea how expensive it would be from the other discussion you had about gel-coat restoration

I am definitely paint

seems your the most popular guy on the block and I think that you breaking away from what you said your booked for motnhs - so that's really not an option.

This boat has been out of the water for at least 2 years that i am aware of

Got a small amount of hull damage like one 3 inch x 1/2 inch gouge - not too deep - and other smaller chips here and there

If you think i can poor boy it and have the clear coat shot when the boat gets to Thailand - there are cheap labor painters that shoot some awesome graphics there

I can resource them to get-r-done

thanks again for the post and info

Jimi
Old 10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

No problem Jimi, i am always willing to lend advice. Good luck with the project and let me know if you need any info on materials and such. Thank you
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )