thickened epoxy or rage gold for fairing

Notices

thickened epoxy or rage gold for fairing

Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Glassic R.T.
Not trying to stir the Pot , and this is just a reminder ......... 3M filler should not be used with any Epoxy systems considering there is p - 77 made by Adtech , that is good above and below the waterline / sands easy , and can be used on Epoxy .
RT, you are always trying to stir the pot. . . . see post #2 already covered that lol. Dont much care for epoxies on smaller jobs. VE's the way to go and its best to scarf out any hole above a half inch or so. I scarf out everything any more and cap the repair with CSM.

The AdTech stuff rocks, I like the 861 ultra fair. Whats the advantage with 77?

Hey did ya make it out to Tawas? was lookin for ya. We had a great time for sure. Cat Can Do was there and runnin good.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-27-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just , a quick mention , and that is ..........if you are going to purchase a filler be sure to get a protuct that is good above , and below the waterline .
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Dave , very big difference in the way we both do things considering i never use Poly or Vinyl for any type of repair ( Small or Large ) which boils down to using only Epoxy on my end , and Dave , i know you have already covered that subject but if you read my post #10 , i mentioned that this was only a reminder , and the main reason for using P-77 is ........ because it is compaible with Epoxy / along with being Heat resistant which in my opinion is a better product to use . Dave , to answer the rest of your questions about Tawas i will give you a call considering i was only 40 to 60 min away ...

Last edited by Glassic R.T.; 06-27-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

cool deal Artie . . . i mean RT

gimmie a call
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
cool deal Artie . . . i mean RT

gimmie a call
I thought so
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Hey have you guys ever tried mar-glass,made by marson .It is a short strand filler,water proof filler.I have used this on Hundreds of jobs holds great under water and above.Little hard sanding but I use it as a base before a finial filler.JOHN SR
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Hey have you guys ever tried mar-glass,made by marson .It is a short strand filler,water proof filler.I have used this on Hundreds of jobs holds great under water and above.Little hard sanding but I use it as a base before a finial filler.JOHN SR
Used similar stuff above the waterline, not saying it cant be used below, just havent done it myself. For below the waterline, I believe I would use glass for the big stuff, thickened resin, or a marine specific filler such as 3m for the final fairing, but that is just me.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

lol

hey wait a minute isnt that like a five gallon kit? Bringing your cost to what? $89 a gl? . . . . I win at $140 a gallon

To tell ya the truth there a place in Detroit called Michigan Fiberglass and they have an in house brand of snow white vinylester fairing filler i really like. Stuffs amazing, its weird it goes on thick and cures hard as a rock but for some reason still sands easily and is very easy to level. I try an grab a gallon or two any time i am up that way.
lol is there any other way to get it ? i only needed like 2 gallons but i don't think they sell it in that amount?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ridefast77
lol is there any other way to get it ? i only needed like 2 gallons but i don't think they sell it in that amount?
Actually no, some of those things are fives minimum. Corebond is another tough one to get. I am setting up a marine specific supply shop geared toward all the do-it-yourselfers and convenient quantities is one of the things i am working on. Man that sucks if you had three gallons of that stuff turning with no place to go.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually no, some of those things are fives minimum. Corebond is another tough one to get. I am setting up a marine specific supply shop geared toward all the do-it-yourselfers and convenient quantities is one of the things i am working on. Man that sucks if you had three gallons of that stuff turning with no place to go.
lol tell me about it, ill use it for somthing more then likly in my motor bay. then it will be as slick as the outside what will be nice. marine specific supply shop, awesome!! i like the sound of that.

Last edited by ridefast77; 06-28-2012 at 06:37 PM.