Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Modifying strakes on a 24x7 hull (24 Pantera)? >

Modifying strakes on a 24x7 hull (24 Pantera)?

Notices

Modifying strakes on a 24x7 hull (24 Pantera)?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i actually thought that was one of the hulls that did have it. Maybe not the original loft but some of the hulls in the family tree did, its pretty narrow. Maybe that would be another ??? for Joe. I cant say for sure helps or hurts speed.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey since you guys are talking about the pantera 24 anyway, what does that boat have for bulkheads and/or ribs?

My excalibur only has a few ribs and one (i think) bulkhead at the cabin.. im thinking about doing something about it
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the boat porpoise when fully trimmed at WOT?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Does the boat porpoise when fully trimmed at WOT?
Absolutely not, at least not with the old 454 and TRS that was in it. I will redo everything and put a 496HO and Bravo in it instead so it will be a completely different boat.

I turned it upside down today and the bottom is actually in a better shape than I first thought. I will probably start working on the bottom tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Default 24x7 Bottom

10 years ago I flipped over my P&D to clean up the bottom and got pretty good results. I extended the outer strakes about 18" and cut them off square as opposed to blending them into the bottom. Before doing this I went around and looked at other boats with similar none stepped bottoms, Cigarettes, Powerplay etc and compared the ratios of the outer strake length to the total length of the boat and used that rationale to decide how to extend mine. From there I took out the hook on the port side, sharpened all of the corners (inside and out) and straightened the last 8' of the boat. The P&D also has a small delta pad at the keel, I left that alone except for sharpening the corners.

Previously I had trouble breaking 80 with 650 hp. The boat would always lean to the starboard side and had little bow lift. I ran a 16-1/2x29 3 blade cleaver on stern powr drive mounted fairly high. Always had to drag the starboard trim tab a little to keep the boat straight up.

I sold the boat to a friend before putting it back together but helped him complete the project. I made the 1st shake down trip by myself. It was rough and there were a few issues so it was a short trip but served it's purpose. When I got back we checked the GPS, it showed 88 mph. I told my friend to check his GPS something must have been wrong with it because there was no way I picked up 10 mph with what I had done.

My friend moved the batteries to the port side to shift some weight around and had the prop worked to get some addtional bow lift. When done he swears the boat always ran in the low 90's and swears the GPS was dead on.

I hope this info helps. This was quite a major undertaking for me and had I known how well it was going to turn out I would have never sold the boat. I still remember the project quite well so if you have any questions let me know.

Jason
Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezrizer
10 years ago I flipped over my P&D to clean up the bottom and got pretty good results. I extended the outer strakes about 18" and cut them off square as opposed to blending them into the bottom. Before doing this I went around and looked at other boats with similar none stepped bottoms, Cigarettes, Powerplay etc and compared the ratios of the outer strake length to the total length of the boat and used that rationale to decide how to extend mine. From there I took out the hook on the port side, sharpened all of the corners (inside and out) and straightened the last 8' of the boat. The P&D also has a small delta pad at the keel, I left that alone except for sharpening the corners.

Previously I had trouble breaking 80 with 650 hp. The boat would always lean to the starboard side and had little bow lift. I ran a 16-1/2x29 3 blade cleaver on stern powr drive mounted fairly high. Always had to drag the starboard trim tab a little to keep the boat straight up.

I sold the boat to a friend before putting it back together but helped him complete the project. I made the 1st shake down trip by myself. It was rough and there were a few issues so it was a short trip but served it's purpose. When I got back we checked the GPS, it showed 88 mph. I told my friend to check his GPS something must have been wrong with it because there was no way I picked up 10 mph with what I had done.

My friend moved the batteries to the port side to shift some weight around and had the prop worked to get some addtional bow lift. When done he swears the boat always ran in the low 90's and swears the GPS was dead on.

I hope this info helps. This was quite a major undertaking for me and had I known how well it was going to turn out I would have never sold the boat. I still remember the project quite well so if you have any questions let me know.

Jason
Thanks Jason,

You don't have any pics of this project do you?!

Do you mean you extended the inner strakes?

The rest I'm performing right now, sharpening and straightening everything so I will give your info some thought!

[email protected]
Old 10-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Careful on removing the hook some of that is "engineered" into the hull to help with the single prop.
Pantera Boats are not supposed to have any hook.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Pantera Boats are not supposed to have any hook.
Thank you! I wasn't completely sure about the 24.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Yes I meant to say inner strakes, sorry I don't have any pictures
Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Registered

What if I widen the delta pad 1/2-1" and at the same time lengthen it an inch or two?!

I will definitely make molds of the inner strakes to do some add on strakes to test with later on - about 18" long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.