new boats painted >

new boats painted

Notices

new boats painted

Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new boats painted

About a year and a half ago I was going to buy a new bare hull When I went to pick it up the gell coat very thin and blotchy. I was upset and didnt buy the boat (don't know too much about gell coat other than its a waterproof finish) When I asked the builder why it was like that he said he paints all his boat after building them other builders do too.) I was too worried about the gellcoat to buy. I really liked this boat and the builder is a great guy with a great reputation as a builder.I kinda wish i bought the boat cause in my opinion it is still one of the best looking boats. Can any body tell me why a boat company would paint there hull after building Is there any good or bad things to doing this because I could have painted it. (not that it would make a diff now bills took half the money now) Just courious in case there ever is a next time I will be a little wiser
Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Donzi paints there boats even if they are all white. Heck pretty much all the performance related boats are painted with the exception of some west coast builders that do graphics in gel. The thing you don't want paint on is the running surface, that should be 100% gel. It also depends on the intended use of the boat as to weather a boat gets paint or gel. I don't think I would call it a deal breaker either way. What kind of boat was it?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Glassdave thanks for info. The boat was a tunnel.I was always under the impression that all boats were built with thick polished gell and that people painted graphics on the gell because they want graphics. Like I said I could have painted it Hell I eventually painted all my other boats when gell faded.I like graghics but like solid (white)colors better.I even thought about buying it and trying my hand at spraying more white gell on it myself and polishing it. I ended up buying my cobra back with graphics added.Looks great but still prefer solid white Now I am always worried about scratching the graphics.Next time I will know better and not worry about buying
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

generally speaking they should come out of the mold ready to use without paint. I guess it all depends on the builder but its not uncommon to paint as part of the build process. Some older molds may lack a decent surface and require paint. These days everyone is trying to squeeze a buck so its entirely possible they just cheaped out on the gel, the main thing is the running surface and at the very least that should always be gel. Tough to say without seeing it but again i dont think i would use it as a deal breaker.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered

Dave thanks for your time and info
Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

All the boats I rebuild are painted but they are 35 years or older.