I/O to O/B conversion questions >

I/O to O/B conversion questions

Notices

I/O to O/B conversion questions

Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I/O to O/B conversion questions

As Glassdave says "I'm a sucker for a project"..

I inherited a storm damaged hull that Im considering converting to a single outboard boat. The boats deck and windshield were caved in when the roof on his dock broke and dumped all the snow in it.

I know the extent of what it would take to put a single level floor in it and add the center console, but will the boat perform well with an outboard if it wasn't designed to have one from the factory?

It would "seem" like you could (in very basic short terms) plug the transom, install knees on the stringers, bolt on an outboard bracket and rig everything. But are there differences in the actual hull for a setup thats I/O versus a hull that is setup for O/B?

Still at the considering stage. I have the outboard and I know what it would cost for the floor and glass work. Just wouldnt want to end up with something that porpoised like crazy or couldn't get on plane.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we had a guy around me that took a small block out and put a johnson 225 on the back of a 22 footer. think it was a baja or something remotely close to it. boat ran good. the only thing is make sure you do a good job of filling and bracing up the transom. the transom was not ment to hold all the weight off the back of the boat and then when you add set back to it, it makes it even worse. make sure you tie into the stringers far enough. as for porposing it may at lower speeds due to the weight set back. you can over come it with a set of k planes or tabs. as for getting on plane you can definetly get on plane, you can always go with a lower pitch prop to plane.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

fix the hull first. do a center console with a box over the existing power. or do deck and windshield like orig. then sit back. look at it. drive it. fish it. then decide if it is worth converting. there are millions of nice center consoles with blown up outboards out there for cheap. it'll take a lot less doing to put your motor on one of them.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by demag67
The only thing is make sure you do a good job of filling and bracing up the transom. the transom was not ment to hold all the weight off the back of the boat and then when you add set back to it, it makes it even worse. make sure you tie into the stringers far enough.
That is the similar words Glass Dave gave me on my project... Gotta tie that extension box to some stringers...
Jr.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

All good advice above. Motor set back and re-balancing the boat is the biggest issue.
Very common conversion though. 1000's of them down here and are even shops that specialize in it.
Recently saw a 28' Marinette cruiser converted to twin 225 JohnRudes and the owner is claiming 56 mph!
I had one w/the standard twin 225 hp inboards and I'm not sure it would bust 30!