Single Stage Paint & Gun?? >

Single Stage Paint & Gun??

Notices

Single Stage Paint & Gun??

Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Single Stage Paint & Gun??

A while back I Painted a pair of outdrives with single stage PPG paint. I cant remember what the paint was. The gun I used, was an older touch up one. I have some Tabs & Jack plate that I want to repaint. Any suggestions on a single stage gloss black paint? What about a new style gravity fed gun?
Thanks, Jr.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's really what you are comfortable with using. Imron always holds up well. And If you still have your old gun and it works well, use it. Gravity feed guns take a little to get use to if you have been using a old gun. HVLP guns save paint but again it's a learning curve......
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

The paint on your boat is PPG Concept, works good. If your not looking to spend a bunch on a gun just get a cheapy from harbor freight.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered

Not to confident on the HB products.. I would not mind spending more to know if the paint job sucks, then it was all on my end.............
Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
The paint on your boat is PPG Concept, works good. If your not looking to spend a bunch on a gun just get a cheapy from harbor freight.
Not to confident on the HB products. I would not mind spending more and getting a descent gun. Plus if the paint job sucks, I know it was all on my end...........
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Not to confident on the HB products. I would not mind spending more and getting a descent gun. Plus if the paint job sucks, I know it was all on my end...........
Good guns aren't cheap...Do you know someone you can borrow one from especially for single stage. The best gun made will not make as much difference as practice.......
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iawada makes somr decent cheaper guns.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harbor Freight guns are fine, second on the concept for single stage.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Dont count out the HB guns to fast for what you are doing. For drives and hardware/rigging they work well specifically because the are cheap and do not atomize well. Lays single stage on thick and not a lot of overspray in your "do it yourself" shop. I keep them on hand for 2K primers and single stage heavy stuff like trailers and drives. Like i said they do not atomize very well and usually have a pretty large fluid tip so you can really dump the material through it. I buy one or so a month and just toss it out when it starts acting up. They also spray gel/Duratech pretty good to. Oddly enough its one of the few guns that can spray single stage mixed to the factory specs. Generally you will need to over reduce when compared to what is listed on the label (they have under reduced ratios for VOC compliancy) these crapy guns have such a non technical air and fluid tip that they are able handle the higher viscosity by basically throwing the paint on, also seem to work good with lower pressures.

If you do not want to spend the long dollar on a good gun get a cheap one but get it at harbor freight. A cheap gun at a dedicated auto parts/paint store is just a HF gun marked up. In other words theres not much difference in a $99 dollar cheap gun and a $39 dollar cheap gun. You can get something decent in the forty or fifty dollar range that will work ok for ya, the $14 dollar super cheapy HF one is simply a throw away, one or two attempts at rebuilding it pretty much ruins all the tolerances but they do work and actually not that bad.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with dave , I have many of those HB guns in my shop However we only use SATA on the high end stuff . This is a test panel for graphics on my Skater

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Single Stage Paint & Gun??-dscn3465.jpg  

Last edited by KEVLARKAT32; 02-14-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.