Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Controlling overspray >

Controlling overspray

Notices

Controlling overspray

Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used 2x2 and built a 'cocoon'. It was big enough to cover the boat and give me a work area (12X36x8), basically three 12x12x8 sections. Used a box fan to duct fumes out the window and not stink up the barn. Toward the back I added a 7x3 door to get in and out.

I didn't buy 2x2's, I bought 2x10's and ripped them down. Then ripped 1/4" strips to staple to the 2x2 to sandwich the plastic and for the bows for the 'ceiling'.

Picture is before stapling the 1/4" strips. I was using somebody else's barn and figured I'd better do everything possible to keep dust contained. I still have a 12x12x8 section left for doing smaller projects. They actually kept the other 24x12 section and use it to set up a haunted house for their kids at Halloween
Attached Thumbnails Controlling overspray-img_0114.jpg  

Last edited by c_deezy; 03-23-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back in the day before we had a booth at the shop we just coverd up what we didnt want over spray on and made sure the room was spotless then we just sprayd the floor and the walls down with a water hose. It worked almost as good as the booth as far as getting a clean job. But the booth is a must for production of corse.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
Back in the day before we had a booth at the shop we just coverd up what we didnt want over spray on and made sure the room was spotless then we just sprayd the floor and the walls down with a water hose. It worked almost as good as the booth as far as getting a clean job. But the booth is a must for production of corse.
Did the same thing back in the 70's/80's when we painted cars in my Dad's garage. We would sit the air compressor outside so it wasn't sucking in all that humid air from the wet garage.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
If i bump a side view mirror or something ya just know lol.
DOH!!! Been there

[/QUOTE] if not . . . drink a Natural Light then it will [/QUOTE]

EWWWWWW
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replies/ideas!

Not painting the boat just the engine and I just have my garage to work in. I am an extreme newbie so I wasn't sure how much overspray there would be floating around the garage. I figured with an 8'x8' area that's plenty of room and I could contain the overspray as well as keep the dust out.

I have a floor fan that I figured I could tape a dryer vent hose to and shoot the fumes outside.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
RL
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I have a floor fan that I figured I could tape a dryer vent hose to and shoot the fumes outside.
If it's a box fan, consider covering the "receiving" side of the fan with a furnace filter. Will help keep overspray from coating the fan parts and motor.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RL
If it's a box fan, consider covering the "receiving" side of the fan with a furnace filter. Will help keep overspray from coating the fan parts and motor.
A cheap box fan is cheaper than a good furnace filter. Cheap furnace filters wont stop overspray (like the $1-$1 blue ones. )... SO I say just buy a cheap box fan and keep it in the garage..