Notices

Painting Help

Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Painting Help

Want to change the color of some of the painted on Grafix on the sides and deck of my PQ. Metallic Black over Blue. What type of paint should I be spraying and what prep steps should i do. Thinking of using a single stage with no clear. My painting experience is limited but this job is small enough that I can take my time and do this.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

If you are spraying metallics it woulld be best to use a base clear system, solid colors are fine with single stage. You could use single stage in metallics but its a bit trickier to spray on the do-it-yourself level. Spraying over factory graphics is a simple way to update the look of your boat and not to terribly difficult. I usually start wiping the whole thing down with a good wax and grease remover like PPG's DX440 then i will overmask the area, tape off what you want to shoot but slightly outside the actual area by a quarter inch or so. I will then sand the entire area with six or eight hundred making sure to sand just over the line where it will be masked. I do this to get a full mechanical bond of the paint right to the tape line. Some prefer to mask the actual line than sand up to it but this leaves a fine unsanded edge around the perimeter that will be sensitive to chipping and can also take some sharpness out of the taped edge, That small amount of oversanded area will pretty much disappear during the final color sand and buff. Anyway after youve sanded the surface wipe it down and tape the actual line, if your careful enough tape the stripe just ever so slightly larger then the original graphic, this ensures no accidental under masks where you may see the old color after your done. Once its all masked off and ready to shoot dust on a few coats of Bulldog adhesion promoter and your ready to shoot. After that has flashed off tack it one more time and your ready for color. Spray whatever system you choose (base/clear or single stage) and let that flash off, i prefer to pull tape when its still wet and start pulling paper almost immediately after hanging the gun up. I get all the paper off first the sneak up on the actual mask being careful to pull the tape back and away from the edge at a sharp angle. I am not sure if it makes a difference one way or another if you pull wet or dry but i have pulled wet my whole life (mostly because i am impatient ) but have always thought it relaxed the tape line a bit. After this stuff has dried overnight sand it all down with 1000 wet the 3000 Trizak wet on a DA and buff 'er out. . . . . .piece-o-cake
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-17-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Dave,
Great Info. I can do base and clear, easier would be good. Do you suggest any paint and reducer that I should use ?
Thank you so much, Rich

Last edited by rrentsch; 04-17-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I use PPG's DBC with 2021 clear or in a single stage i use PPG's Concept. Reducer will depend on temp but it is PPG's DT reducer for any of those products.

Any pics of the boat?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Just looking to do the blue stripe on both sides and on the front deck
Attached Thumbnails Painting Help-p1010117.jpg  

Last edited by rrentsch; 04-17-2012 at 08:03 PM.