transom repair-plywood >

transom repair-plywood

Notices

transom repair-plywood

Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Wish the boat manufactures would worry about the quality of wood they put in the boat when it is first built.Not all but most.Like we do when we build it for the second time.JOHN SR
it isn't just the boat manufacturers. i bought a motorhome. 15 years old. 19,000 orig miles. the wood box was collapsing and the fastners holding it together were rusting away. it was clearly made to last the length of the loan payments. heck, look at what they make new houses out of...flakeboard!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Wish the boat manufactures would worry about the quality of wood they put in the boat when it is first built.Not all but most.Like we do when we build it for the second time.JOHN SR
My thoughts are it's not the wood quality, but the lack of sealing the wood at every hole drilled or cut out...cut out. Cheap wood will last forever if sealed properly. Expensive wood will rot when allowed to get wet. Thus the number of conflicting opinions of what type of plywood can be used.

Every thread here I read about transom/stringer replacements is do to water getting to the wood, not cheap material.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
My thoughts are it's not the wood quality, but the lack of sealing the wood at every hole drilled or cut out...cut out. Cheap wood will last forever if sealed properly. Expensive wood will rot when allowed to get wet. Thus the number of conflicting opinions of what type of plywood can be used.

Every thread here I read about transom/stringer replacements is do to water getting to the wood, not cheap material.
Well than you have never got into doing any stringer or transom work in Chris Crafts that were made in the 80's by Murry the wood looks like old tomato crates so I must differ with you about Quality of wood. But support the fact that the wood is not sealed from the elements correctly. JOHN SR
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My thoughts....there are always exceptions.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I've used all kinds of stuff for transoms and sometimes it comes down to budgetary constraints. Its always best to use a marine rated product but i have use a standard 7 ply birch from one of the big box stores and it worked fine. Keep in mind the failure of most transoms can be traced back to poor installation and sloppy rigging rather then choice of wood. Make sure all holes are well sealed and no exposed wood exists anywhere after the fact, on my transoms i even fully encapsulate the drive cutout as well as cap the bottom where the drain plug goes so it does not run through wood. Lets put it this way a properly installed and rigged off the shelf Home depot wood transom will far outlast a poorly installed marine Okume transom.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-22-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That's one thing that always baffled me. How poorly so many manufactures seal the hole for the drain plug passage(s).
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spazboz
That's one thing that always baffled me. How poorly so many manufactures seal the hole for the drain plug passage(s).
they don't seal it poorly. they don't seal it AT ALL!!! drive cut-out usually looks like some min wage kid used 3 squirts from a can of Krylon.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I've seen it all when it comes to poor OEM quality. I had a 272 Formula in the shop for a transom and from the factory there were two huge (and i mean huge) air voids on both sides of the transom that were probably seventy five percent of the surface bond, the only place where the wood was actually bonded to the boats hull was an area about two foot wide by three foot high around the drive cutout.

I agree i cant believe how crappy the OEM's handle rigging and cutouts, a simple brush coat will only last so long. I cap that edge with a full layer of 1708 and at the bottom of the transom where the drain plug is i will cut and bevel back a larger hole in the wood and make that area pretty much solid fiberglass.

yellow area where void was
Attached Thumbnails transom repair-plywood-transom.jpg   transom repair-plywood-transon2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as important as the quality of the wood, and the bonding, is remembering to cut a "mousehole" if your fitting a drain bung.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

mousehole! good term, i was lookin for a word for that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.