filling trim tab holes >

filling trim tab holes

Notices

filling trim tab holes

Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filling trim tab holes

I did alot of reading before i did this but still dont know if i did it right. I had tore a bennet trip tab off the boat a few wks and then decided to go with K planes......

Drilled out the old holes and used dowels with the West Systems resin and harnder.....I then used an automotive filler to cover the holes....Sanded the whole transom down with 220 grit then applied Brightside white... Was this the proper choice of paint? It came out really well at least i think....Im not to concerned with the color match as i think i will need to relocate the exhaust hole eventually when my other motor goes in.

Just want some info before i go ahead and install the kplanes..Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

GlassDave is the guy you want to talk to here. The only possible problem I see with your process is automotive filler. Some of that stuff will actually absorb water over time. PM Dave and see what he thinks. He will not steer you wrong.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
GlassDave is the guy you want to talk to here. The only possible problem I see with your process is automotive filler. Some of that stuff will actually absorb water over time. PM Dave and see what he thinks. He will not steer you wrong.
Thanks man

the other problem is with the automotive (polyester) filler over West Systems epoxy. These are not very well compatible products, you may get some inhibited cure in the filler in the presence of Amine (blushed off in the epoxy). You either have to use an all epoxy system of an all ester system. Also TS is correct you should not use automotive fillers under the water line, a VE filler is best. While you have a couple no-no's in that repair i would just keep an eye on it to see how it holds up, i dont think i would go after it for just the screw holes.

For the exhaust repair stick with an ester system. Epoxy just is not necessary for a repair like that and you will have a better selection of user friendly products to choose from.

heres some info in this thread that might help

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...ash-holes.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch Dave!...I knew i should have asked first but i know now for the next time...Im trying to do all the work myself since the budget is tighttt! I'll keep an eye on the areas for sure.. My K planes will be covering most of the area though

Thanks again