Fiberglass Platform Repair and Re-Gel Coat w/Pictures >

Fiberglass Platform Repair and Re-Gel Coat w/Pictures

Notices

Fiberglass Platform Repair and Re-Gel Coat w/Pictures

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fiberglass Platform Repair and Re-Gel Coat w/Pictures

I have a 2003 Velocity 260, that suffered some fiberglass damage to the swim platform last season. We originally wanted to replace with a tubular platform, but current budget just won't allow it. So I decided to repair the damage myself. I am not a newbie to fiberglass, but I also do NOT claim to be an expert either. This was my first experience with Gel-Coat though.... So I did all the repair and then re-gelcoated the platform. I didn't want to deal with the overspray and clean up associated with spraying the gelcoat, so I decided to use a foam roller and brush. The finished result is incredible, especially considering I used a brush and roller. Here is a link to the entire repair but I included a couple of AFTER PICS here in the thread. Not too bad for a brush and roller?

http://www.bradzgarage.com/velocity/...rm_repair.html

Last edited by low_psi; 05-21-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That came out really nice, did you use a wax in your gelcoat to avoid the sticky surface after curing? When I've messed around with fiberglass I've either added styrene wax to the gel or sprayed PVA on top after it tacked up. Of course this only applies when the gelcoat isn't covered by 'glass.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That turned out really nice! Hard to believe the gel was applied with a roller and it looks like that!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Not too bad for a brush and roller?

not bad? i hope you hoisted that can of Bud light and toasted a succesful rehab!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice jpb. As much as you may not like that platform, it is designed pretty good. The water swirls and stays under the platform. It works well.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revd Up
Nice jpb. As much as you may not like that platform, it is designed pretty good. The water swirls and stays under the platform. It works well.
The swirling is what my biggest issue is. I have a 496 mag and no matter what (even after a Whipple reflash of ECM) it runs rich. So the "swirling" effect pulls the exhaust back on to the platform which leave a nice dark layer of soot. I was hoping a tubular platform and longer tips would help combat this issue..... Plus, I just think a tubular platform looks soooo much better. But the tubular platform will have to wait. I mounted this platform this afternoon, even though I didn't get a great color match......... This being my first go around with Gel, I wasn't expecting perfection.......

Last edited by low_psi; 05-22-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mltdwn12
That came out really nice, did you use a wax in your gelcoat to avoid the sticky surface after curing? When I've messed around with fiberglass I've either added styrene wax to the gel or sprayed PVA on top after it tacked up. Of course this only applies when the gelcoat isn't covered by 'glass.
I used Gel with Wax. I basically let each coat cure just long enuff to get tacky, then recoated. After 4 thin coats I sanded the platform with 320 to knock it down, then put on 4 more heavier coats, the started sanding from 180 all the way up through 2000. While that sounds like a lot of work, it really wasn't bad at all. 180-400 was with a DA, then I went from 400 (again) - 2000 with wet paper. At 2000 it was glossier than most finishes..... I then hit it with a wool pad and Fountain of Youth Vibra Cut. Kevin Peak has an EXCELLENT product line. If I were to do it again with a roller and brush I would apply the first four coats much heavier, which would probably be enuff. Since this was my first experience with gel, I put the first 4 coats on too thin, so when I sanded with 320 there were a few areas that we just too thin. So the next four went on much heavier which left plenty of material to snad to a mirror like finish.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why I like working with gel coat. It is amazing the shine you can get out of it with a little wet sanding and buffing, whether you spray, brush or roll it on.

Looks good, turned out great.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i am getting ready to gel coat my windscreen and planned to spray it, i was worried about making a huge mess with the overspray, after reading that you got good results with a roller i may just go that route since i am doing 3 smaller-medium size pieces. looks great!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

If you decide to go the route I did, use high quality foam rollers and high quality foam brushes. I did 2 coats with the roller, then 2 heavy coats with the foam brush. Using the foam brush, helped level the finish out a bit. Don't worry too much about brush lines but do try to avoid runs, as these will just make sanding it level much more work. I always look at it this way, if it turns out bad, you can always sand it down and try again...... You will use more gel this way as you will end up sanding quite a bit off, but to me it was worth not having to deal with the clean up involved in spraying (I have a finished garage with tv on the wall, cabinets, shelves, etc. so I didn't want to have to deal with taping it all off).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.