3M 5200 Deck to Hull Bonding Help

Notices

3M 5200 Deck to Hull Bonding Help

Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3M 5200 Deck to Hull Bonding Help

I'm in the process of replacing my rub rail. I've pulled out all the old factory caulk, roughed up the fiberglass and gelcoat with 80 grit in between deck and hull as best I could. Cleaned with acetone and let it fully dry for over an hour. Here's my problem... filled the joint with 5200 standard (not fast cure). Laid down a beautiful bead along one whole side of the boat. By the time I got from the bow to the transom, it is dripping out. My gap is between 1/8 inch - 3/16 inch. I keep going back with rubber gloves and pushing it in with my finger, but I know this cant be standard procedure. What am I doing wrong? Should I have used 5200 fast cure? West Marine doesn't offer it in black, that's why I went with standard.

Last edited by 1980 Martini; 05-28-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: move emoticon
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered

Default fixx

nature of the beaste,,once you apply 3' put masking tape over the area you cauked then do 3 more feet and tapte over it again until your finished...they make black but its the 5200 super fast urathane.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Awesome. Quick response. I thought about that but wasn't sure how long to leave the tape on. It's tack free in 48 hours, complete cure 5-7 days?? What is your procedure? Man, this stuff is like tar.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Registered

Default fixx

i will leave it on for a few days,,use the blue masking tape,,will come off easier once the 5200 sets up.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I've got one side and the transom done. I got the wife to help me with tape as I re-caulked where it dripped out. She wasn't really happy about ruining her favorite jeans. Tomorrow I want to do the other side. My question is , is the '"fast cure 5200" easier to work with? I can get it in white, which at this point I don't care that it is white because it all gets hidden under rub rail. (dark blue hull)
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jamestown distributers in bristol ri 401-253-3840 has the all the 5200s and real good supply of west system black electrical tape works good also
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1980 Martini
I've got one side and the transom done. I got the wife to help me with tape as I re-caulked where it dripped out. She wasn't really happy about ruining her favorite jeans. Tomorrow I want to do the other side. My question is , is the '"fast cure 5200" easier to work with? I can get it in white, which at this point I don't care that it is white because it all gets hidden under rub rail. (dark blue hull)
stick with one product,,the super fast is a little thicher but the slower drying time bonds better..
Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
stick with one product,,the super fast is a little thicher but the slower drying time bonds better..
OK, I'll stick with the original plan. Thank you for your quick response. If you ever need any welding advice, I'm your guy. ...
I think I need to find a new helper for tomorrow since my wife is still not talking to me.