Clear Gel Coat ???

Notices

Clear Gel Coat ???

Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Gel Coat ???

Clear Gel Coat ???
Hi all. I posted on iboats and got one reply so I'm wanting to get a second opinion.
I have a two colored deck, white and metallic red. The white gel coat was freshly sprayed and last coat, the air dry was added. It was then taped off. The already taped off area, red metal flake, is now ready for spraying. I have already got my red base down and am going to be spraying the red flake clear coat gel mix with no air dry on last coat.
The metallic will not be sanded before covering it with three layers of clear gel coat but the white needs to be sanded to remove orange peel and then going through all the sanding process and then being polished and waxed.
1.) Can I forget and the white sanding process and just sand it with 180 paper to get rid of the orange peel and then clear coat gel over both the white and red matallic??
2.) Can I use straight Clear Gel Coat with styrene and catylis and final coat air dry added or is there some other combination that is better for less orange peel and less sanding to achieve the finished product?
3.) What is the mixing process for the powdered Poly Flake, Fire Red by Glitterex, ratio when mixing with the Clear Gel Coat. So how much flake will I need to add to let's say a 500 ml pot?
Thanks, Dave.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here is what I found out for any of you that are in the same boat!! Get it? boy I crack myself up sometimes.
Talked to the guys over at Skeeter boats. NEVER clear gel over colored gel coat at all. As ondarvr said, it will yellow. I should have done the metallic portion of the deck before doing the white. That was my first mistake but no biggy. They say that the tape line when removeing will lift some of the flake so if sprayed first you can use a sharp carpet knife to make a straight tape line for when spraying the white.

Poly Flake mixture is 3/4 pot clear gel coat (1/2 clear gel and 1/2 Duratec high gloss additive) then 1/4 pot Poly Flake plus catylis.

Apply flake till the red base is completely covered all in one shoot. Let harden then apply three coats of clear gel coat and duratec high gloss additive 1:1 mix plus catylis leaving 1/2 hr. between coats. 4th and final coat they say to mix 1/4 pot (1/2 and 1/2 clear and high gloss) and then 1/2pot of Patchaid plus catylis.
They say it will look amazing.
I'll let you know the out come.
Thanks for the replies, Dave