Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Sole fiberglass requirement? >

Sole fiberglass requirement?

Notices

Sole fiberglass requirement?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha Ha Ha , Dave just curious what do you think finish fabric is ............... other then being called surf board fabric or Cheese cloth Ha Ha . RTE 203 , i think if you go with 4 oz ( chesse cloth ) you will be more then happy with the results , and to tell you the truth ......whenever i do a layup that can be seen visually...............i always go with with cheese cloth to hide the seams which makes your layup much more pleasing to the eye .
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

THEO ,welcome to the site , and not to be rude but # 1708 is what it is , and did you read what i wrote in post #12 considering ........Vectorply makes fiberglass reinforcements for hand laminated structutes using standard Poloyester resins which are made for Poly only such as ( 1708 ) , and once again Not Recommended to be used with Epoxy . Theo , just curious , and please do not tell me that you got this info from Mich Fiberglass Supply ..........?

Last edited by Glassic R.T.; 07-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Glassic R.T.
Ha Ha Ha , Dave just curious what do you think finish fabric is ............... other then being called surf board fabric or Cheese cloth Ha Ha . RTE 203 , i think if you go with 4 oz ( chesse cloth ) you will be more then happy with the results , and to tell you the truth ......whenever i do a layup that can be seen visually...............i always go with with cheese cloth to hide the seams which makes your layup much more pleasing to the eye .
I know RT you know i just like bust'in on ya you cheese head . . . .

It does work nice as a final layer to help balance and put a nice finish surface on.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo49306
The new 1708 from Vectorply EBXM1708 will work with Epoxy, this does not have a chopmat attached, it is made by chopping gun roving and then stiching while the 45's are made, the older 1708's were made with mat. You can still get the bindered 1708, made in China called EBXM1708C. Use a rubber squeegy when wetting out the 1708, dont push too hard, rollers will pick up the stiching. Also place masking tape where you want to cut the glass, this will help keep the layers from coming apart, pull tape before the resin cures.
welcome aboard Theo, just to clarify its not that you cant use a stitched mat bi ax its that you really shouldn't use it in an epoxy system. The random nature of any mat, no matter what process it is made with, weakens the structure by not allowing the fibers orientation to be optimized and directed. Plus they are much harder to wet out then the a 1700 bi ax and they tend to load up a lot of resin making an over saturated stack that can be difficult to properly balance.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Registered

Guys thank you for the welcome to this site. As for how I know if you can use the 1708, I sell composites materials and my supplier Vectorply gave me this information. I work for Composites One. As for the mat, it would help build thickness in the laminate, an old trick given to me by a core mfgr is, double this thickness, 8 times the stiffness. This isnt a golden rule but is close. Again thank you for the welcome.

Ted
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered

Ted or should i say Mr Rogers . Ted , i can almost bet you would have a hard time selling that one to Pete H , at Skater , and Ted like Dave mentioned above WHY would anyone want to use Epoxy with 1708 considering it takes way to much resin to wet that fabric out . Dave , i know you are just having fun ........................IT'S ALL GOOD .
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Registered

Pete only buys what he wants, lol hes a good guy. I would only use 1708 if it was for a repair and no weight issue. I just wanted to clairify it can work with epoxy. I would rather have guys use carbon, I make more money,lol
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Registered

Default Using #1708 with Epoxy .

Well i have one horror story to tell ,and that is about a local Boat Co that was going to start using Epoxy ( pro -set ) in a few of there models , and was told they could use most or all of the same fabric that they have used in the past like # 1708 , and to make a long story short one of those boats was being dlivered by water which actually was going thru its first shake down / sea trial when in stormy seas started to have some structural failure on the bottom , stringer systen , etc due to the fact that the binder prevented through wet out of the fabric which in turn resulted in disaster because once again #1708 is designed to be used with polyester resins , and not recommended to be used with Epoxy .

Last edited by Glassic R.T.; 07-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.