How to re-gelcoat a textured surface >

How to re-gelcoat a textured surface

Notices

How to re-gelcoat a textured surface

Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to re-gelcoat a textured surface

I have a swim platform that has a textured surface on top. I would like to re-gelcoat the top. Can I just sand it a bit, tape it off and roll on some gelcoat? How can I mimic the non-slip surface? Textured rollers?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the bumpy textured surface, I'd suggest some stainless steel wool.. 400 grit..maybe a little heavier grit (Circular Motion) but not much pressure or you'll "top" the original gel coat and you need that as your base coat/primer. Once you've got it scuffed, wash it with a plastic bristle scrub brush and Dawn Dish soap, then wipe it down 2 times with Acetone and use a 3/8 inch nap foam roller. Be sure to wet sand the edges where your tape lines are once it's cured. Oh..you'll have to use the PVA Mold Release instead of wax paper or celophane because the low parts won't make contact and won't dry/cure to a hard surface without it. Just did this on my Pachanga swim platform and it turned out great. Go a little light on the first coat so you don't fill in all the old texture and be sure to "tip" your roller marks with a badger hair brush or foam staining brush.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Registered

Does a foam roller have a nap to it? Also can't I just mix in some wax in the gelcoat for the final coat? How many coats?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

It's a high traffic spot, everything gets set on it from Anchors to sandy,gritty, muddy feet.I'd go with two coats. Optimally you'd be better off spraying the gel coat but gel locks up guns real quick. If you're using a two part Gel Coat.. Go a little heavy on the hardener..you'll need about a Pint to do the whole platform area so by heavy..I mean 2 to 3 more drops. After about 15/20 mins, spray a fine mist of PVA Mold release..10 bucks at Oreilys.. through a pump style spray bottle with an atomizer on it. Wait 12/24 hours, then use a soft cloth and straight water to wash the wax stuff off..it's water soluable. DON'T MIX THE WAX IN THE SECOND COAT. As for the nap of the roller, there's different thickness and density. Use you best judgement and go a little light on the first coat, wait 30 mins, then go over it with #2 being thorough and careful not to fill every dimple with gelcoat.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Why can't wax be mixed in with the last coat? I thought that is what wax is for?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

If you want the surface to cure/dry to a hard surface, it has to be devoid of open air. The spray wax PVA Mold Release, will ever so slightly seal the entire surface and allow No Air to make contact with the surface. I wouldn't mix wax in the gel coat, I wouldn't mix anything besides the required ammount of Hardener or Color into the Gel Coat.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

The wax spray goes on about 30 minutes after you're finished tipping/working the second or final coat.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

That's the extent of my gel coating knowledge, if you have more questions, find Galssdave.. he can answer any questions you might have if he's recovered from his Birthday Bash??!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

make it easy on yourself and get some duratec clear,mix it 50 50 and go to town,,it speays like paint..dont need wax or pva... and yes you can mix wax in with the gelcoat and it can also be reduced with patch aid so you can spray it..