Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge >

Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge

Notices

Donzi 28zx Broken Lateral Stringers in Bilge

Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only issue I would think is most boats ride better or softer at the engine than they do more forward. I wonder what the more forward stringers look like where they tend to take more abuse.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

I wonder about that myself, however, the main stringers hug the fuel tank and run up through to the forard part of the bow, so i'd think forward of the firewall and bulkhead is OK. Id still like to know for sure though. We'll see what the adjuster says for now.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by 4bus
Are you sure about the insurance? To me this is a warranty issue. Insurance will cover a scratch in the paint of your car, but they will not cover paint fade damage over time.

I would think if you call insurance to tell them this happened on one specific wave, as one single impact. Telling them this happened over time, even the course of a ride for the day may spin this back as a mfg defect that they will not cover.
Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I don't see how insurance would be involved with this repair. It is a construction and/or use issue.
Dont know what insurance you guys carry but their's a part in a policy thats called under water damage that covers my drives,and what ever its attached to..who knows he may have even hit a submerged log to do this damage.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Registered

Default fixx

check out this trend on donzi.net..mike had some problems with his,,being glass dave is close to you he could copy this and do the same to yours..mike had nabbers do this for him and he has not had any problems since and he runs lake michigan alot..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=truser
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by michigan troll
The only issue I would think is most boats ride better or softer at the engine than they do more forward. I wonder what the more forward stringers look like where they tend to take more abuse.

When a boat travels over 60mph ,slamming into waves, bow acceleration creates approx 5000lbs pressure per #foot on the forward section of the hull. It gets lesser going towards the stern.Here's a picture to depict the load distribution area [ between the bulkhead and just a few feet after the stem ] most affected . That's why stuffing can crack hulls real quick at fast speeds no matter how strong they're built.It's not hard to find stress cracks around the entry to the cabin of boats!

Last edited by spectras only; 08-23-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Dont know what insurance you guys carry but their's a part in a policy thats called under water damage that covers my drives,and what ever its attached to..who knows he may have even hit a submerged log to do this damage.
Sure, if it was a single incident, that it what I am saying. Will your insurance cover the small stress cracks found around the top of your bow??? No, unless you can show them a single impact caused them. I was trying to help him, not talk down at him. If they get the feeling this happended over time they will squash it in a heartbeat, that is what they do!

Btw, a log would leave marks on the bottom side, that is why I suggested a rouge cruiser wake.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

I've got an appointment with GlassDave after Labor Day weekend. I was completely honest with the insurance company in how this occurred. Looks like it'll be covered under the policy. It's a shame it happened in the first place, but they DO happen! Thusly, the reason for insurance.

From what I've read here over the past year, it'll be in the best hands for inspection and repair.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered

If someone has the ability/resources to pull the motors themselves I can't see getting the ins co involved...the cost of the glass work will be minimal...dont be "that guy" that weasels every penny out of the ins as possible...it'll catch up to you. Save the claims for the expensive issues! Like hitting a submerged object that rips your drives off...