painting small parts >

painting small parts

Notices

painting small parts

Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default painting small parts

I have been painting some small parts with spray bomb (rustoleum) and have some slight streaks in the finished product ...... Both the valve covers and intercoolers have the same problem... I read where sometimes the spray can dry before it hits the surface and cause the problem.... I read where you can go over the surface with a scotch pad and then respray... In both cases I was running out of paint and was try to get the last drop out of the can... could that be the cause the streaking ?

what I normally do is 2-3 light coats of primer just a few minutes apart and then 2-3 coats of the topcoat just a few minutes apart on top of that ....I'm not sure you can see what I am talking about in the pic ..... thanks ...mike
Attached Thumbnails painting small parts-p1020041.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

its very difficult to get the overlaps close enough together when using aerosols. That and the fact that most dry to quickly makes it next to impossible to do flat surfaces. If you are going to respray you may want to wet sand with something in the six or eight hundred range, scotchbtite does not have the ability to level the surface.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
its very difficult to get the overlaps close enough together when using aerosols. That and the fact that most dry to quickly makes it next to impossible to do flat surfaces. If you are going to respray you may want to wet sand with something in the six or eight hundred range, scotchbtite does not have the ability to level the surface.

thanks Dave ....

so that kinda explains why smaller parts (brackets) usually turn out better ..... would the can almost being depleted compound the problem too? Not as much push when the can is full ....