Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
OK to notch stringers for clearance? >

OK to notch stringers for clearance?

Notices

OK to notch stringers for clearance?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK to notch stringers for clearance?

I have an 88 Baja 235 Force, and while the engine is out, I was thinking about extending the notch in the rear stringers a few inches further forward to give me a little bit more room to get to the starter if necessary and the oil filter (using a t-stat sandwich oil cooler adapter). There are already two notches back there that extend all the way to the stringer forward about 8 inches or so - the notches are about two inches deep off the tops. I can't see how extending them forward a little bit could upset the structural integrity of the motor mounts, but I thought I would run that across some of the fiberglass experts. Of course, I will go back and encapsulate the cut area with fiberglass cloth and resin and bilge paint.

I'll post a picture if necessary. I'll be in there working on it this weekend. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1988 boat I would be concerned with Moisture in them.
Leave them stock, Buy Mini HP starter
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tcraft
1988 boat I would be concerned with Moisture in them.
Leave them stock, Buy Mini HP starter
Yeah, that thought went through my mind - I might not want to know what's on the inside of them. Should be able to tell if there is any moisture in that area by simply drilling a small hole (of course, remembering to fill back in if I don't notch them). More concerned if it would weaken anything structurally. I'll have to post a picture over the weekend.

My real concern is less on the starter side (already have the mini Merc starter) and more on the port side for oil filter clearance. I added a thermostatic sandwich oil filter / cooler adapter, and the filter mounds directly to it. Makes changing filter a bit of a pain, but eliminates about 5 feet of restrictive oil cooler lines and fittings. The goal is better oil flow to the engine, and the ability to keep the oil up to proper temp.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Registered

Get her solid/Investigate possible Trouble.
That way no Issues pop up in the Season.
Engine out is Best Time, tighten the Bolts with confidence
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

Default Picture's worth a thousand words...

Here is a picture of what I am trying to accomplish:

Yellow line is approximately where I want to notch for additional clearance. Any issues with doing this?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

While its out if your not using the exhaust y yank it out to. I dont think it would hurt anything to notch the stringer.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
While its out if your not using the exhaust y yank it out to. I dont think it would hurt anything to notch the stringer.
I would like to get my switchable exhaust functional again, but I need to get the right kind of collector with a built-in diverter for my Lightning headers.