Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
respirator/eye protection etc.... >

respirator/eye protection etc....

Notices

respirator/eye protection etc....

Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default respirator/eye protection etc....

So does anyone have any tips on what works best for keeping the glass out of your eyes and lungs.

Im using 3m half face respirator with the pink filters I tired using goggles but they just fog i tried using a sandblasting hood with just safety glasses on, works good for a while then the glasses fog up and then i took them off and had just the hood on and kept getting glass in my eyes.

Im thinking of trying a 3m 6800 full face respirator, but im afraid that it will just fog and be a waste of 150 bucks. I see a few positive air setups online for about 300 bucks im wondering if maybe thats the way to go.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some fog proof safety glasses. You'll still get glass in your eyes, but not as much.

The key is to capture as much dust as possible at the source. Either by using a dust collector or a shop vac with a yellow drywall filter bag. Put the vacuum hose at the output of your grinding stream. The more you capture at the source the less in the air, on your clothes, on you, in your eyes, etc.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 3M full face and don't look back. Just go to a shop that has different sizes in stock so you can buy one that fits properly. The nose and mouth portion are sealed seperately from the rest of the mask. As long as it fits right, it will not fog. They're great for grinding glass.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I like these Dragers much better then the 3M. They have a cup that covers your nose and mouth and will not fog up. They offer this same model without the stainless ring for $140. Very nice mask for the money.

http://www.thesafetyequipmentstore.c...er-R56655.html
Attached Thumbnails respirator/eye protection etc....-2013-05-09_13-40-32_758.jpg   respirator/eye protection etc....-2013-05-09_13-41-22_390.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Registered

Best money you'll spend on your entire project!! Dont know if your supposed to but I blow my filters from the inside out with compressor at the end of each day and can normally wear them for a few extra times.

Hey Dave tell him about your panty hose fetish again
Attached Thumbnails respirator/eye protection etc....-197.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered

Which one is that pohka? the draeger? i was thinking i might be better off with the 3m cuz i can get filters at home depot
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Registered

Default fixx

i use a sas system..also incorperates air to my ass to keep me cool when grinding and such with a suit on..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAS-SUPPLIED...item20d27b3b98
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Registered

the thing i kinda was wondering about those is can u put a filter on them so there not sucking in anything even if they are pretty far away from the boat