How far should I go? >

How far should I go?

Notices

How far should I go?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far should I go?

Hi I was just out working on my boat and found more than I was expecting somebody before me decided to cut out the rear seat bulkhead when I started cleaning up the edges to replace it I found that the front of the stringers are wet. should I just keep cutting and replace the entire stringer and floor or just replace the first few inches of stringer on each side. My transom appears to be dry, the exposed plywood around the gimble looks to be dry. Any input on how far to go and the proper products to use would be great. I have some basic knowledge of fiberglass but just want to know the correct way of approaching this, the wood work under the fiberglass is not a problem I am a carpenter and have the tools and know how.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You may have too drill a few 1/4" holes and see how far the stringers are saturated. That will answer your question on how far to take it. If the wood sticks to the bit, its wet. Drive a wood dowl pin in the hole and glass it or seal it back up if it is dry. Another option is to sell it and let someone else worry about it.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My stringers were wet for the first six inches or so. I cut them out from the middle of the boat to the transom and started from scratch. Once you start cutting and grinding, it's easier to take the entire Stringer out than trying to scarf in a section.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

I figured it would be easier to replace a whole than just a piece. I started trimming the bulk head back and found that the engine stringers are only about 3 1/2 to 4 feet long, they run from transom to rear seat bulk head. I think I'm just going to replace everything back to the transom. I've read just about every post on here about stringer replacement so I don't want to be repetitive but is there a substitute for marine ply that's more available? Also do I need to use epoxy resin throughout or can I seal all my new wood with polyester resin before installation to save a few gallons of epoxy?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

use resin, if you seal the wood with epoxy, you will have to do the entire repair with it. There is really no need to add the expense of epoxy to your project.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Registered

Before I take measurements and cut everything out back there, I have just one or two questions.

1st- what plywood do I use Marine ply? birch ply? fir? obvisously marine ply is best but I cant seem to find it anywhere
2nd- what resin should I use? polyester? vinylester? epoxy? and how much, just start with a 5 gal pail?
3rd- what weight mat & cloth
4th- what is the layup pattern cloth then mat? mat then cloth?
5th- how many layers on average? Im sure every situation is different
6th- does each layer cure and then sand the surface before the next layer or just layer ontop of wet layer ( if this makes sense)
7th- can I do this on my trailer, is there enough support?

Im sure Ill have more questions throught this project but hopefully with the help of OSO Ill make it to water someday.
I dont know if it helps but it is a 1988 seebold 236 454 bravo 1

Last edited by seebold 236; 08-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'll give you my opinion after doing the exact same job.

1- I used 7 ply birch plywood. 8oz. Mat between two 3/4" birch plywood pieces.

2- use vinylester resin. I bought "700" from us composites.

3-use 1708 fabric. It's 17oz. Cloth sewn to 8 oz. mat. You can buy it in strips for tabbing and sheets for larger areas.

4- I used four layers of 1708 across my stringers.

5-see number 4

6- you can lay up the whole job in one continuous layup.

7-I bonded one stringer at a time on my trailer.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

I re did my seebold 265 last winter. Check out my rebuild thread over in the restoration forum. Got any pics of yours?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Vintage Chromoly thanks for the info its a huge help. How much resin and fiberglass did you use?

Seebold265nj, I have watched your thread that's what helped in my descision to rebuild. I have taken pictures of everything that I have done so far, like the full summer of scrapping, sanding and polishing the bottom paint off. Just can't figure out how to post pics any more but there is one on here somewhere.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I'll give you my opinion after doing the exact same job.

1- I used 7 ply birch plywood. 8oz. Mat between two 3/4" birch plywood pieces.

2- use vinylester resin. I bought "700" from us composites.

3-use 1708 fabric. It's 17oz. Cloth sewn to 8 oz. mat. You can buy it in strips for tabbing and sheets for larger areas.

4- I used four layers of 1708 across my stringers.

5-see number 4

6- you can lay up the whole job in one continuous layup.

7-I bonded one stringer at a time on my trailer.
When you have cut the birch ply in the correct length, angle cut the lower end and rounded off the upper end, fasten it to the bottom and bulkheads with polyester putty. Remember to make radiuses with the putty as well (maybe 1/2") since you can't make the glass fibre cloth bend in 90deg and the radius will make it way stronger.

I would use ISO polyester or vinylester, the problem with the ISO is that it gets a bit sticky but you can add some paraffin/wax to it to avoid the stickiness.

The easiest way to do the laminates is to start with a chopped mat and then put on the clotch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.