Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Need advice on removing a painted stripe. >

Need advice on removing a painted stripe.

Notices

Need advice on removing a painted stripe.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice on removing a painted stripe.

I just purchased a 2001 Concept 30 center console. It is solid white with a small blue and yellow stripe at the waterline. The stripe just doesn't match the new interior panels that are in the boat (much lighter/brighter blue). Plus the current stripe makes the hull look much older.... It is a factory stripe and is paint. It has a very sharpe edge, so it appears the boat is gel and the stripe was painted after the fact. If the stripe is clear coated, it is only the stripe itself, as the sharp edge indicates the stripe isn't buried in a clear coat (that would be on the white hull). I have included a pic below. What would be the best method of removal? Paint stripper, razor blade, DA / Sanding, oven cleaner (I have used oven cleaner to remove hand painted names and striped in the past)? My end goal is to remove the stripe and leave the hull solid white this summer. I may eventually get a full wrap done, however I have had a nice 3 color vinyl graphic put on my Velocity. Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Since its not a real big stripe i'd just take my time with a block and something in the 180 range. Try to stay off the gel and just work the stripe down heck i might even start with 120 but its gonna take a real fine touch, as soon as you see it getting thin start jumping up in grit. 220, 320, 400, 600, etc . . . .

You could try gel safe stripper first but it probably Imron so its gonna resist but worth the shot. You'll still have to do some sanding but not a whole lot
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dave. Good looking CC.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Thanks Dave!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, that looks good. I don't know if I would mess with it. Really not outdated that bad...it's subtle
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

What kind of gel safe stripper do you suggest?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Registered

Update on my quest to remove the Imron Stripes on my Concept....

It turns out the bottom two stripes were Imron, but the top strip appears to be Gel. Not sure why, but here is what I found to work removing the Imron stripes. I sanded them a little bit with 150grit to give the paint stripper something to bite into. I used Citrustrip (I purchased at Lowes). I tapes off the upper stripe and any areas I wasn't working on. Applied a generous amount of the Citrustrip to the sanded stripes. Let it sit for a good hour or so (occasionally reapplying areas that had dried up). It was around 60 degrees, so I am sure if it had been warmer it probably would have worked slightly faster..... Even after a few applications the stripes were still pretty tough, I had to use a large drywall knife to scrape the paint (being careful not to damage the underlying gel). After removing the stripes I used Acetone to clean up the mess that is left by the striper. The upper stripe since it appears to be gel, I sanded with 150 grit till almost gone. I will be stepping up to 220 this afternoon and working my way up to 800. At which point I can hit it with some compound and the wheel. Over all a lot of work, but worth it (In my opinion). Here is a pic of the boat after 150 Grit.