Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options... >

Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...

Notices

Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...

Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...

I know this topic has been exhausted, but I havent seen any real concensus on the issue!
Or maybe there is no difference between paints at all, just personal preference?

Brands I have seen recommended:
-Interluk Bilgekote
-Rustoleum (with hardener added)
-Awlgrip
-Sherwin williams
-Imron

If it comes down to price being the only difference, obviously Rustoleum will come out on on top! Just wondering if its the best option.
I know its all in the prep....but still.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
I know this topic has been exhausted, but I havent seen any real concensus on the issue!
Or maybe there is no difference between paints at all, just personal preference?

-Interluk Bilgekote
-Awlgrip
-Sherwin williams
-Imron

If it comes down to price being the only difference, obviously Rustoleum will come out on on top! Just wondering if its the best option.
I did mine with Rustoleum/hardener and it looks awesome, it doesn't stain with oil but I did notice when I changed the fuel filter some got in the bilge and it peeled up a bit but I touched it up and it looks great again. Its cheap and its works good for the money but if you want something thats going to withstand anything I would spend more money on some better stuff.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used white Bilgekote. Looked perfect bright white when done. Going on 3 yrs now and it's still stain free and wipes up no problem. It has yellowed some though. Didn't know till I did filled in a couple screw holes last yr and touched that up. Should blend in over time though.

A buddy used rustoleum and his is still nice and white. Appears to be holding up as well. Been a good 7 yrs.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i used white bilgekote, looks great 3 years later. i have some of the rustolium stuff i am goignt o try soon also.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

why not gel? i'm doing mine and i'm leaning towards gelcoating it. am i missing something here?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just remember you'll get what you pay for I would strongly recommend one of the bottom 3 you listed. I've done serverel and redone quiet a few because otheres used cheap products and didn't prep things right.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Rambocj7

-Interluk Bilgekote
-Awlgrip
-Sherwin williams
-Imron

out of all you mentioned and for the price you cant beat the sherwin williams for the money..it smells just like imron and awlgrip but its alot thicker,almost thicker then laytex..one coat of sherwin is like 5 coats of imron..with the hardener its like 115.00 a gallon..you can spill anything on it and it wont budge..

the stuff you want to use is hi-solids polyurethane # for whitr is B65 w 311 part S (paint) and B60 V 30 (harderner)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
out of all you mentioned and for the price you cant beat the sherwin williams for the money..it smells just like imron and awlgrip but its alot thicker,almost thicker then laytex..one coat of sherwin is like 5 coats of imron..with the hardener its like 115.00 a gallon..you can spill anything on it and it wont budge..

the stuff you want to use is hi-solids polyurethane # for whitr is B65 w 311 part S (paint) and B60 V 30 (harderner)
That's the same stuff I just got done using 2 coats and it came out great hard as nails. I've dropped a few wrenches in the rigging process and didn't leave a mark.
Attached Thumbnails Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...-eng3.jpg  
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sw

Sherwin williams paint question:
"mr.fixxall"
i see you posted b65w311 + hardner as the paint to use. When i spoke with my sw rep he said that paint needs an under coat of paint or primer in order to work properly.
He suggested part # b54wz401 which is an industrial high solids enamel. I crossed reference the specs online and it appears this has better resistance to chems, etc. Also is oil based so wont break down as easy in water. We have used similar on our shop equipment and its tough. My cost is $46 per gallon, hardener not required (wont work).
Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carter38
that's the same stuff i just got done using 2 coats and it came out great hard as nails. I've dropped a few wrenches in the rigging process and didn't leave a mark.
nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.